Finally joined the Imperial club ...ATC help needed

Fury Pursuit

Reaction score
I finally was fortunate and lucky enough to join the Imperial owners club recently.

The car has ATC which is somewhat complicated and problematic in nature....

Is there a “ATC” guru that can give me some guidance on the basic mechanics/theory as to how the system functions or operates properly?

The controls work, I.E. the fan activates, but I believe I need a new “heater by pass valve”...is it normal to have the A/C compresor “engaged” at all times ?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

is it normal to have the A/C compresor “engaged” at all times ?

Nope, it should only be on AUTO settings and DEF.

From which model year is your Imp?

The (nut shell) basics of Auto Temp is that there is two censors in the car, of which the other one is measuring the ambient temperature and the other does measure the temperature inside the car. The censors and potentiometer send information to an amplifier, which does control the system to maintain a selected temperature. The power servo replaces the blower speed switch of a ``normal`` A/C system.

As to why your compressor is engaged all the time, I hope that some of the wiser guys would chime in.

Whoops! I forgot to mention the Imperial is a 1969.

Last edited:
@Clover would be who I went to first with this but he doesn’t come around much lately. I’ll send him a text a little later and see if I can get him to chime in.

I finally was fortunate and lucky enough to join the Imperial owners club recently.

Is there a “ATC” guru that can give me some guidance on the basic mechanics/theory as to how the system functions or operates properly?

The controls work, I.E. the fan activates, but I believe I need a new “heater by pass valve”...is it normal to have the A/C compresor “engaged” at all times ?

This thread has a lot of good info regarding ATC II:

What I learned about 74-78 ATC II

I'm by know means an expert, and the memory may not be accurate, but I had a 71 T&C w/ATC many years ago and as I recall the compressor did run all or most of the time when the system was on.

Nope, it should only be on AUTO settings and DEF.

From which model year is your Imp?

The (nut shell) basics of Auto Temp is that there is two censors in the car, of which the other one is measuring the ambient temperature and the other does measure the temperature inside the car. The censors and potentiometer send information to an amplifier, which does control the system to maintain a selected temperature. The power servo replaces the blower speed switch of a ``normal`` A/C system.

As to why your compressor is engaged all the time, I hope that some of the wiser guys would chime in.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there any type of "normal maintenance" aside from using the system to keep it in working order?

Any advise or comments are appreciated.

I'm praying to WPC currently!

First of all, the Gurus will need to know..
1. Does heat shut off and come on and will the control level adjust the amount of heat.
2. Does the A/C work and will the control level adjust the amount of coolness. .
3. Does the flow of tempered air adjust between Heat and Defrost.

Anybody who starts throwing diagnosis' without know exactly what it is currently doing and not doing is just blowing hot air.

Let's see if this ends up over in the Gold Member thread... :popcorn:

Is there any type of "normal maintenance" aside from using the system to keep it in working order?

For that you must wait for someone currently having the AT in his (or on a few occasions her) car.

If you need one of those vacuum controlled heater valves for your first generation ATC system, Trev, I have one you can just have. I have more than one, and I doubt I will use any of them.

Back