finding an your old car

67newport

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
has anybody tried to find there old car with any sucsess? a guy i work with is trying to find his 68 mustang with only the vin#. he got as far a the ohio title was surrendered to Tennessee i believe in 2002. where else could he go to see if it even still exists?

I find mine everyday in the carport! But seriously, about 10-15 years ago my uncle tracked down a 78 Trans Am that he had bought new using only a VIN and a private investigator. Here in NC you use to be able to search past tax records, but that changed about the time my uncle was looking for the Trans Am thus the reason for a private investigator.

If you go searching be ready for the worst though. When my uncle finally saw the car it was in rough shape and the guy wanted 3X the market value, so the car is still rotting away in that trailer park.

As neat as these activities might seem, the end result can be sub-optimal and disappointing. It seems that few, if any, of the later owners had the same "good orientations" as the earlier owner did. Which leads to finding wrecked or badly-neglected vehicles. Bummer.

Only real way to track prior owners is from their "last prior registration" records. You send registered letters to the person/address and go from there. Same if the prior owner did not properly release the title, years earlier. Can get tricky and time consuming! But with the several "location" websites where you can do your own online searches (for a small monthly fee), YOU can be "the investigator". Still, these services rely upon public records, so there can be some errors, by observation.

Getting a list of the prior owners (and addresses) can be helpful in determining the vehicle's prior location history AND where it was originally sold. There can be some interesting stories in THAT information. As things have progressed, many states only keep records back "so many years", so there might be an "early ending" to the information.

Good luck, but be prepared for the worst.

CBODY67

I agree old registration names and your own investigation. I didn't find my original owner until I found her obituary, and I am the 3rd owner so I had the original owners name and address and her name on the Certicard.

You won't get any help from any State's DMV they won't have old records.

I was able to find the original owners kids who both drove my car in their teens. I plan on meeting them sometime and give them a ride.

Back