Finding the right console tach for my '66 300

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't even started my '66 300 yet and I'm already trying to find some different parts. I would like to replace the tachy "fuel economy" gauge. I don't know the exact name of it, but I thought originally it was a console tach.

I have two different thoughts: 1. Find an original tach, I have and one in decent cosmetic condition seem to be $500 and up. 2. Find a new tach and place it in my current console. I have found new stickers that have the 60's tach layout, but I have to find a new tach with the same layout and size. Has anyone done something similar, or found a new vintage looking Mopar tach?

Performance indicator....

I would like to replace the tachy "fuel economy" gauge. I have two different thoughts: 1. Find an original tach, I have and one in decent cosmetic condition seem to be $500 and up.

It sounds like you have an original "performance indicator". A factory option that is mounted on the console. Those are at least as valuable as the original tach's, maybe even more so.
I bet you might find someone to trade, but the tach's are only 6K RPM and more of a decoration then anything, I'd keep the performance indicator if it is original to the car.

Last edited:
I would like to replace the tachy "fuel economy" gauge. I have two different thoughts: 1. Find an original tach, I have and one in decent cosmetic condition seem to be $500 and up.

It sounds like you have an original "performance indicator". A factory option that is mounted on the console. Those are at least as valuable as the original tach's, maybe even more so.
I bet you might find someone to trade, but the tach's are only 6K RPM and more of a decoration then anything, I'd keep the performance indicator if it is original to the car.

I never thought about it being valuable or even that it was a factory option, it is original. I honesty would probably never look at a tach down there either especially since I have an automatic. Thanks for the advice.

Only the manual trans cars got the tach and it is shaped differently than the vacuum gauge (what you have). I like the console mounted vacuum gauge and get lots of comments on it at car shows. It was indeed a factory option when the bucket seats were ordered with an auto trans. Here are a few pics of mine:

Interior6.jpg

Vacuum.jpg

Console3.jpg

I love factory tachs but that factory Performance Indicator is waaay cooler. Please keep it!

Only the manual trans cars got the tach and it is shaped differently than the vacuum gauge (what you have). I like the console mounted vacuum gauge and get lots of comments on it at car shows. It was indeed a factory option when the bucket seats were ordered with an auto trans. Here are a few pics of mine:

Interior6.jpg

Vacuum.jpg

Console3.jpg

I love your red '65. That is one beautiful car.

Now that I have embraced my performance indicator, here is a picture of the day I picked her up and then after I cleaned her up. Note the dial thermometer in the before picture (not a factory option).

Performance indicator.jpgdash cleaned up.jpg

dash cleaned up.jpg

Performance indicator.jpg

You've come a long way. Feeling lucky and proud, aren't you?

You hit the nail on the head. I can see such great potential with this car. It's driving me nuts not having the time to work on it right now. I'm asking a bunch of questions now so when November hits I'll probably work around 8 to 12 hours on the weekends to get her running. Then the real fun will begin.

The tach for your console may look identical to the vacuum gauge. I was speaking to '65's regarding the differences in appearance. Someone with more knowledge of '66's may be able to chime in.

The tach for your console may look identical to the vacuum gauge.QUOTE]
The performance indicator as pictured in the 66 shared the same housing with the tach. Both were optional in any console equipped B & C body from 1966 through 1969, (I have never seen a 70 with either).
The guage was mounted on the console lid with a single spring loaded nut and could be rotated from center to left a limited amount to suit the drivers line of vision.

Back