Firewall Gasket--For Free! As many as you want. Free!

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not actually the gasket, but a PDF image of the thin cardboard template I made for my own gasket. You can use whatever material you want. I had one of those very rugged plastic outdoor signs laying around the garage, like for a zoning ordinance hearing or a political campaign sign, so I used that. Rubber, foam, gasket material, an old sign....your choice.

This is for my 1970 300. Your results may vary, but I'm guessing you guys know what fits what.

PM me your email and I'll send you a scan of the cardboard template you see below.

To prevent tearing your material, do the following:
1. Cut out big center hole first. I used an Xacto.
2. Cut out three bolt holes. Remember that they need to be large enough to fit over the lip that's formed into the floor plate holes.
3. Now take a scissors and cut out the outer outline. It can easily be 1/4 inch larger than the template, and probably should be.

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

It's ugly, but unseen once installed. Oh....a little black spray on the firewall side hides any ugly orangeness. At least it's sorta Hemi orange.....
IMG_0952.JPG

Last edited:

Oops.

In my defense (others have used that line :p) I took the column out to change to my FFeel steering gear (more on that later) and the existing gasket was decimated. So to get the car back together, I made one.

But you've made a good point....I should have thought that through, after thinking everything else about this swap through (pot coupler, pot coupler clamp thingy, Bouchillion metal coupler, 11/32 return hose vs incorrect 3/8ths, red clamps, Pitman, etc.) I was banking on the old gasket being okay. It certainly wasn't. My bad.

Also, in my defense, if I'da known that gasket was bad and planned to make one to save $4 (after spending hundreds with FFeel) I would have had something other than an old zoning sign as a substitute! :D

And finally, I DID check my unopened Detroit Muscle HVAC box gasket kit and Shoddy Pad kit, just in case it included the column gasket for some odd reason.

Oops.

In my defense (others have used that line :p) I took the column out to change to my FFeel steering gear (more on that later) and the existing gasket was decimated. So to get the car back together, I made one.

But you've made a good point....I should have thought that through, after thinking everything else about this swap through (pot coupler, pot coupler clamp thingy, Bouchillion metal coupler, 11/32 return hose vs incorrect 3/8ths, red clamps, Pitman, etc.) I was banking on the old gasket being okay. It certainly wasn't. My bad.

Also, in my defense, if I'da known that gasket was bad and planned to make one to save $4 (after spending hundreds with FFeel) I would have had something other than an old zoning sign as a substitute! :D

And finally, I DID check my unopened Detroit Muscle HVAC box gasket kit and Shoddy Pad kit, just in case it included the column gasket for some odd reason.

:lol:

Last edited:
I'm SO embarrassed that Jim Fillmore saw my crappy, home made steering column gasket. :wideyed:

But on the other hand, when I pulled my instrument panel a few weeks ago for a refresh, I had undo the column support to drop the wheel (of course) and my crappy gasket was intact and ready to go back to work to seal the firewall. But it's still pretty crappy..... :(

What year model is that reinforcement bracket from. Is/was there a gasket between that and the brake booster? I'm trying to accurately document the different brake booster gaskets. Looks like 64-65?, 65-66, 67-68?, 69-73 are all different.

65-73 C Body brake booster gasket ID help

The bracket is from a 1970 Chrysler 300. There was a small round gasket between the booster and the bracket, along with a stiff plastic retainer pressed into the studs. You can see it in the attached picture below.

495F4687-9455-45AF-BD6E-8B93B6459932.jpeg

The bracket on the left with the integrated boot if off of a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker. It did not have a gasket between it and the firewall.

38D46D3B-A5C1-427B-9795-FF405168C456.jpeg
D867553F-A0B6-4F8B-9E1D-C1A72B2D1E5E.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Back