First Drive in 32 years.

Oh your gonna love those new springs........ Did you get new hardware, U bolts, shackle bolts etc? If not do yourself a favor and lubricate the hell out of every nut and thread with WD40 or your favorite nut buster. If not you will surely break a few bolts and hold the project up.

Evertything new from bolts to springs. New sitting off the car they look like they should go on a 3/4 ton Ram.

I seriously admire you guys that do all this stuff without a lift.

(Sent using Forum Runner)
I have had a lift on the short list forever and it keeps getting bumped down the list, because of money going into the cars. It is now probably another 2 year out now. Four months ago I was ready to order one and then I found my 300. The rest is history.

I seriously admire you guys that do all this stuff without a lift.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I'm lucky to have the use of the Automotive Shop on the Proving Ground. Sure made putting those %^^&&* bumpers on a couple of weeks ago.

Close to having a lift, if economy just held up a little longer. Don't ask me why I remember that, I don't know it myself.

To do a lift right, you have to build the garage/house around the lift demensions. Stan, isn't that what you did? Design the garage/house first to have plenty of room for the lift installation?

To do a lift right, you have to build the garage/house around the lift demensions. Stan, isn't that what you did? Design the garage/house first to have plenty of room for the lift installation?

Don't laugh. That's exactly what I did.
I drew a rectangle, located the garage and work shop, and went from there. Seriously.
Gotta have priorities...
I had X amount of sq. footage to work with and I wasn't going to say "I wish I had..." down the road. Even the contractor said to me when I was excrutiatingly figuring ceiling height: "Stan, this is your last chance in life to do it right".

Last edited:
I had my house built too. I would of done things a lot differently looking in the rear view mirror. I would of built a Rancher with a 2-3 car garage. I retired when I was 41....never owned a house and didn't know how much house I could afford after the Army. Transition training from the Army to civilian life was terrible in the 90's.

You dont have to build the house around the lift, sometimes you get lucky and it fits

I have a habit of doing that but that was the point sometimes it happens ............. moving on now

Really? That's seriously taking the easy way out. I bought my lift after I moved into the house I bought and it took two of us most of the day and three of us (and a floor jack) to do the last hour or so of the assembly. We assembled it the way the lift was intended to be installed, but that put the pump/reservoir at the left front of the lift, at the back of the garage and I wanted it near the door opening. So we emptied out the rest of the garage and rotated the lift 180° inside the garage. It "JUST" cleared.

Got my lift from Complete Hydraulics in Franklin Indiana. Comes as a 2'x3' by the length of the lift, kit that fits on a car trailer like nothing. IIRC, they're still $2k or less, rated at 8000 pounds and come with casters, jack trays, drip trays and all the goodies. Runs on 110 or 220 and uses 2 gallons of Dexron. Couldn't be simpler.

Back