First Drive in 32 years.

I find this whole leaf spring thingie confusing.
Ask a thousand people and 500 will say new and 500 will say re-arch...

Since there is no one here in Fumbuck County that does that, and shipping two ways is too expensive and keeps my car out of service too long, I'd have to go new, regardless..

I already bought new ones.

New leaf springs.jpg

New leaf springs.jpg

This is the week , right?

I hope so, my weekend keeps getting fuller, but between a few hours on Saturday and Sunday I should be able to fit in enough time. I have my airtools so I should be in good shape. I have changed leaf springs before, so I know what to expect.

Do us a favor, measure the height of the wheel lip, before and after....just for Ha-has

Before and after on the front too....just curious if it changes.

I'll make some measurements front and back, and take some before and after photos for prospective. I did add an inch to the factory height.

Thats the best way ....I had four sets done that way and was very happy with the height

Nice! Is the shop still in operation?

Sadly, no. Both he and his shop are long gone. However his son is still in the business, but he's partners now with another guy. The shop they're in looks just like every other big truck/suspension shop. Several bays (as opposed to one door opening into a giant dark room) and a level, if somewhat dirty concrete floor. The original shop floor was not concrete, level or smooth. Quite the place.

I perfer rearching the original springs where possible. For one thing, they are original. As long as there are no cracked or broken leafs then a good spring shop can arch them to the original load rating, or to what ever load rating you desire, (within the load range of the spring).

Aftermarket springs are usually some generic material and made to fit a varity of vehicles. Theres always a good chance that once installed the rear of the car will set to high, and thinking they will settle is just BS. I've been there a few times nowanddon't even concider aftermarket springs except to replace damaged or broken originals.

It's important to replace the bushings and bolts also.

Absolutely. And watch out for the spring shops that want to put in an extra main leaf "just to help things out a bit". It's fine if you like your car to have that "cat in heat" look, going down the road, and you're short enough to slouch to see out the windshield.

Back