First ride and few questions

superfragl

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been working on my Fury for 1.5 years now. Yesterday I drove her on the street for the first time ever. What a great feeling!
DSCN6636.jpg

DSCN6639.jpg

DSCN6648.jpg

DSCN6652.jpg

DSCN6658.jpg

I was thinking maybe someone could advise on a couple of things.
Hot start issue... The car sat 15 min and as you can see in the video - it did not want to start with throttle closed. Edelbrock Performer carb and Edelbrock Performer intake. Since I don`t have much hood clearance (only 3/8") I cannot put a thick spacer. I was thinking maybe 1/8" gasket and thin aluminum heat shield?
Heat crossover is not blocked - is there a need? What is the down side? Really don`t want to pull the intake, but if I have to - I will.

Second thing I am not happy about is exhaust drone. 2.5" dual exhaust with h-pipe and Summit turbo mufflers. I am looking at Dynomax super turbo mufflers and Flowmaster 50 or 70 series... I am afraid those might sound similar and I will waste my money... I do not want loud exhaust, in fact I prefer it on the quiet side with a noticeable tone. What do you folks think?

Love the car.
I had Flowmaster 40's on my 67. After a year, I couldn't take it anymore.
I went with 50's regular. I was very happy.

family_of_mufflers-2%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited:
The PO of my car had some sort of Flowmaster mufflers on my car. Being a convertible... I couldn't stand the drone.

To make the car enjoyable, I bought some cheap, short glass pack mufflers and put them in the tailpipes where the resonators would be. I used some chrome tips from there that looked OK. The car was now much quieter and the drone that I hate was gone.

The rest of the exhaust needed work, but I put it off for another year. In the end, I replaced the entire exhaust with a TTI system with Dyno Max Turbo mufflers and have been very happy.

BTW, did that car come from the Syracuse area?

The car came from Western Mass area, but spent most of its life in CA.

Do you have a video/sound of your car running?

I have 2 1/4, h pipe and flowmaters 50 series on my 62 w a 361 motor, I like the sound, it makes noise at takeoff and quiets down at cruise, I am very happy w it, I didn't want a loud car just some noise at takeoff and idle. Pipes exit under the bumper. John.

I first put the 13" Dynomax Super Turbo on my car. That was a mistake. Couldn't stand driving the car between 30-50 mph. Switched them to 20" Super Turbo and the problem went away. Using a 2 1/4" dual system.

Do you have an obstructed bowl vent? If the car requires you to open the throttle and a long crank (didn't see video) it may pushing gasoline into the throat as it expands due to normal heat soak. The vent allows vapors to escape.

Do you have an obstructed bowl vent? If the car requires you to open the throttle and a long crank (didn't see video) it may pushing gasoline into the throat as it expands due to normal heat soak. The vent allows vapors to escape.

Oh yeah, beautiful car!

That is one sweet ride, I am sure once you have the little issues sorted you are going to enjoy every little bit of it.

I was thinking maybe someone could advise on a couple of things.
Hot start issue... The car sat 15 min and as you can see in the video - it did not want to start with throttle closed. Edelbrock Performer carb and Edelbrock Performer intake. Since I don`t have much hood clearance (only 3/8") I cannot put a thick spacer. I was thinking maybe 1/8" gasket and thin aluminum heat shield?
I had a hot-start problem until I installed a spacer set under the carb, comprised of alternating aluminum spacers and gaskets. It's about 1/4" thick when all put together. Now it starts easily after sitting for 15-30 minutes, whereas before it would crank for a long time before firing. I have a stock intake and AFB.

Back