Fixing a Leaky Rear Main Seal, Still in Car

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
In another thread, Detmatt mentioned that one of the reasons for pulling his motor was so that he didn't have to fix his rear main seal while lying on his back.

Can the rear main be replaced (the bottom half, I'd think) with the engine in the car?

Yes, if you can get the oil pan off. I have done it before, but never on a C body. I don't know if you would have to lift the front of the engine up a bit to get the pan off.

I did that in my 65 Newport w/ 383 around 1997. Indeed, I did complete re-ring and hone with engine in car. I changed just the rod bearings since the main bearings looked fine. You do have to pull the rear main cap since the oil seal is part of that, as I recall. Mine was a rubber 2-piece seal. The original might have been graphite rope, though I saw no sign the engine had been touched inside. You just push the top half of the rubber seal around to get it out. I cleaned the seal cavity by pulling a cloth w/ gasoline thru it. Put a drop of superglue on the ends to mate the 2 halves, and push around so their parting line is staggered from the bearing block. I recall that you need "anaerobic sealant" on the faces of the bearing block to prevent an oil leak thru the gap. That is a hi-temp superglue I think. Maybe just on the small block I later did. I don't recall jacking the engine up to get the pan off, but fairly simple once you loosen the motor mounts. Once you raise it 1-2", support w/ wood blocks off the K-frame and remove the jack. Be careful not to mess up the oil pan. I usually try 2 jacks w/ rods against the motor mount tabs.

It can be done and I think you may have to raise the engine at least a little and also remove the center link from the steering linkage. If you plan to have the timing chain assembly off for replacement at the same time you can make the replacement of the seal easier on yourself. Unbolt the torque converter, Pull all the spark plugs and loosen all your main caps so you can drop them all about a 1/2" or more. This will allow you to lower the whole rotating assembly so that you can more easily gain access to the top half of the seal. Once the new upper half of the seal is in you can tighten the main caps back up. There's also something about resetting the thrust or something on the main bearings when bolting the crank back up, you have to give the crank a good wack on the nose at some point(don't have the directions in front of me). If all that sounds like a lot of work, it is. That's all no brainer stuff if you have it on a stand but just know that those are some options if you can't get the upper half of the seal out without lowering the crank. You might be able to just lower the crank at the rear if you don't plan on having the front of the engine torn down but I'm not sure about that. Whatever you do don't buy the aftermarket billet seal housing, the stock one is sufficient if installed properly. I've been avoiding this nightmare of a repair like the plague on my Imp but at some point soon I'm going to have to deal with it.

I have never seen a rear seal replaced in a worn engine that didnt still leak

If you do go through with this dont line up seal half with seam on holder keep everything staggered.

It sounds like it's not an easy task. Unless it gets really bad in the near future, I think I'll just keep feeding it oil until it's time to yank the engine. As has been said in another post, it's going to be way easier to do if I can rotate the block upside down.

Thanks for the details.

Back