Fixing hood rattle

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
The outer and inner parts of our hoods are bonded together with some kind of glue/epoxy/cement that seems to invariably break loose. The result is a hood that vibrates and rattles, most noticeably when closing it. Instead of a nice solid thunk, you get unpleasant noises.

Does anyone know of a way to repair this? There are lots of things that *might* work, for a while, but if anyone knows of a sure fire way to fix this permanently I'd definitely be interested to hear it. I imagine it'd have to be something that can flex without cracking.

I was wondering about this stuff https://www.eastwood.com/ew-flexible-strip-caulk-bk-2-lbs.html.

Or maybe seam sealer: Eastwood Seam Sealer Cartridge

I just used black windshield urethane in a caulking gun. A few spots here or there and done.

There used to be a specific 3M adhesive for just that purpose. I believe it was a two-part bag with an applicator gun?

Other than the noises mentioned, the two metal pieces not being bonded can also cause the outer skin to flutter at highway speeds and/or vibrate on rougher roads (which can't be adjusted-out with the front hood bumpers!).

Whatever product you might use, BE SURE it remains somewhat flexible (but firm) when it cures. Which the windshield sealer (caulking gun stuff) should do. The OEM sealer would usually allow you to put your fingernail into it, but not very deep if you wanted to crack the paint it was painted with. Enough to tell that it wasn't hard cement, though.

Keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

I didn't compress the skin and the structure afterwards. I merely shot a good sized dab between the two, and left the hood raised overnight to cure. So far so good a year in. One it's what I had on hand but also the fact that the windshield urethane should expand and contract and be flexible through many many years of service to the glass/painted surface contact. I figure it should be good enough for panel to panel without showing should the two move as heat expands them. It's what the glass/body interface goes through. Though I'm sure there's better alternatives.

Back