Fixing rust hole - what to use

Analog Kid

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some thoughts on what to use for this hole near where the seat belt attaches. Fiberglass patch or body filler?

Welding is out of the question since with my skills I'd probably make the hole bigger.

Thanks

IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG

Bondo or fiberglass will not fix this except cosmetically. The seat attachment pin might also pull out in an accident and leave you dead. As noted above, find a donor car and weld in a metal patch.

Dave

Last edited:
Is that really where the seat belt attaches? It seems like that would be weak, even without the rusty hole.

Is that really where the seat belt attaches? It seems like that would be weak, even without the rusty hole.

The hole is right above where the seat belt retractor attaches. It is hard to see because of the undercoating but I believe there is a plate where the attachment bolt goes into.

I do not think that is the factory seat belt attaching point.

Proper attacking points are in the floor, and bigger.
2017-08-13_001.jpg

Alan

Here is a shot of the other side - and you can see where the seat belt is mounted so I guess this is different.

IMG_2397.JPG

So if welding is the way to go then maybe I can find someone locally who can do it.

I looked in the '73 FSM and yes, that looks like where the retractor mounts.

If it were up on a spot where it was just the wheelwell sheet metal, you could do something else with it. Since it's down where the seat belt depends on it for it's mount, the only good option is to replace the sheet metal. If you can't weld, you can still cut and make a patch so someone who can weld can do the job.

retractor.jpg

There are plenty of welders out there that will travel to your place and weld in a patch. If I was in your area, I'd do that patch soup to nuts for $125, about 2 hours labor. Look in CL under services, auto repair. Come to think of it, I might have that section of wheel house out of the '73 sitting in the garage, if you are interested I'll check tonight.

Even if you don't use that belt, someone will eventually and not know how unsafe it is.

There are plenty of welders out there that will travel to your place and weld in a patch. If I was in your area, I'd do that patch soup to nuts for $125, about 2 hours labor. Look in CL under services, auto repair. Come to think of it, I might have that section of wheel house out of the '73 sitting in the garage, if you are interested I'll check tonight.

Even if you don't use that belt, someone will eventually and not know how unsafe it is.

$125 sounds reasonable. I have an email out to a craigslist ad so I will see if I get a response. I might be interested in the wheel section. How big of a patch do you think it needs?

Also do you think there’s any issue with the wiring harness being so close? I’m not sure how far it could be pulled away. Would an experienced welder be able to do the job without burning it up?

What does the other side look like? Might be the time to inspect, also see how the bolt is reinforced.

Alan

What does the other side look like? Might be the time to inspect, also see how the bolt is reinforced.

Alan

The other side looks fine. It’s hard to tell what’s behind the bolt since there’s a lot of undercoating there.

When I removed the seat belt retractor some of the metal came with it. I’m wondering if a beverage incident in the back seat many years ago created this.

I'd say the location in the wheel well caused it.
I'd still remove the retractor on the other side and at least see the inside.

Alan

What usually happens to cause a rust out like this is that there was a water leak around the seat belt stud that allowed salt water to intrude into the area between the wheel house and the door pillar. There is not much rust protection on the inside, so it probably rusted from the inside out. You can expect to find more rust inside other than the section that fell apart.

Dave

That’s cheap!

Here is what I have. The hole is from the air chisel, easy to seal up. PM me if you are interested, I can cut it out this weekend.

C0576492-FB60-4B35-91FD-CA4CDB74F68E.jpeg
0524346C-E12C-465D-99F2-7BEDD2506B1F.jpeg

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what to use for this hole near where the seat belt attaches. Fiberglass patch or body filler?

Welding is out of the question since with my skills I'd probably make the hole bigger.

Thanks

View attachment 189508 View attachment 189509
u dont have to find a donner car cut the rusted parts away form new steel into the hole u can use bondo or glass to cover the patch .but cutting the rust out is the only way to fix it ! DON'T CUT CORNERS HERE ITS A SAFTY THING!

So as usual the welder guy on Craigslist never responded to me - called, texted and emailed....nothing.

So looks like I'm trying this myself....got the patch from Samplingman and I'm going to borrow my dad's MIG welder. Going out there this weekend to start practicing. Never done it before so this will be new to me.
IMG_2518.JPG

Back