fixing up my 70 NEWPORT need help with sourcing parts?

BAD69FURY

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1970 newport 4door hardtop 383 engine with 727 trans, and 8 3/4 rear end. I'm trying to freshen it up mechanically so I can daily it. The engine runs great and trans is in good working order. Before I go through the headache of buying the wrong parts, I want to replace the the following and need help sourcing the correct replacement parts.
I'm looking for:

new gas tank and sending unit
fuel pump and fuel filter rubber fuel lines? or braided?
power steering pump
brake hoses for factory front disc brakes
brake hoses for rear factory drums and wheel cylinders
voltage regulator
belts hoses

other than this thinking of keeping it stock, not in a hurry to ditch my points distributor for electronic, all works well at the moment, just want to fix the items above and give her a solid tune up and roll!

IMG_5027.JPG

Here's a deal on a rebuilt pump: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Dodge-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I just bought one for my '70 300.

An electronic voltage regulator can be bought from @FURYGT on this board.

Someone else can chime in on a good source for a tank (do you really need one?) and the rest of the stuff can be sourced at Rock Auto. I'd suggest rebuilding the rear wheel cylinders or finding some older replacements that aren't Chinese.

For belts. I prefer Goodyear Gatorback belts but renamed Continental Elite.
The belts fit better in the groove and never squeal.
If you can grab their hoses get them. If not available Dayco hoses is my 2nd choice.
There are repop heater hose kits for C bodies if you are into that. Otherwise, abox of heater hose by the foot is suffice.
If you plan to daily your car, I recommend reconsider converting the points to elecronic.
Sure they are fibe now but a time bomb..
They are a wearing item and will give trouble down the road----pun intended,lol!!

An electronic voltage regulator can be bought from @FURYGT on this board.

Since your car is a 1970 I do not have that style voltage regulator. They are readily available and if you want a correct reproduction they are always on eBay and other restoration parts places that specialize in MOPAR restoration parts.

The tank can be purchased from Vans ( Vans Auto | Affordable Restoration Parts for Classic Cars ) or on eBay as can the sending units. Reuse your original sending unit locking ring. The reproductions are not good. Vans probably has a lot of the other stuff you need.

fuel pump and fuel filter rubber fuel lines? or braided? - Recommend a new, not rebuilt Carter pump. Use rubber lines where there are rubber lines but use fuel injection rated hoses as they hold up better with today's lousy gasoline. If you don't mind a non-stock fuel filter go with a clear plastic one. Wix or NAPA or another quality brand.

power steering pump - Rock Auto, NAPA etc.

brake hoses for factory front disc brakes - Rock Auto, NAPA etc.

brake hoses for rear factory drums and wheel cylinders - Rock Auto, NAPA etc.

voltage regulator - see above

belts hoses - Rock Auto, NAPA etc. unless you want MOPAR reproduction belts and hoses. A lot of the hoses and belts are the same.

If when you are looking up parts if you can't find them for a 70 Newport, try a 70 Fury or Polara with the same engine etc. as they used the same parts that you are looking for in most cases. My 2 cents, don't go cheap with parts. Stick with name brands like Raybestos or Bendix for brake parts because you get what you pay for.

You are miles ahead with points, pun intended!

Just maintain them, lube the cam, etc.

I’ve been walking too many times with electronic, I’m done with it. Especially with all the foreign junk out there.

Thanks for talking the time to reply FURYGT, this is very helpful! I definetly won't cheap out, I'll stick to the better stuff for sure.

Any brake parts and related hardware you need can be had from Craig @mobile parts. 516-485-1935. He is a member here and has the good, old school quality parts that will last. Not the foreign made garbage that is so prevalent on the market today. A lot of us here have bought from him for that reason. If you call and leave a message he will call you back. Great looking car you have there.

Thanks for the shout out, mrfury68, once again!!!! You are GREAT !!!!!
Bad69Fury,
I have practically everything on your list -- in quality American made parts -- including the 1970 & up (very different from 1961 - 1969). I have a 1971 datecoded
O.E.M. MOPAR --- no good for you....
Can go over your entire list -- and a couple things you might wish to scoop up, while I have them...

Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 1935...
New York....
If I am here, I pick up on the 1st ring.... If I am at post office and UPS sending orders, leave a message on the voicemail, you bet I will call you back!!!!!

Stay healthy..... Yours, Craig.....

Back