Flaming river steering coupler

james bernard

Reaction score
I am putting a upgraded steering box from Steer and Gear in my Polara. Along with every other steering and suspension part imaginable. I have a few friends that are telling me that I have to put a Flaming river steering coupler on to really make it right. As much as I have starred at my original but rebuilt steering coupler, I just can’t see how one of those aftermarket couplers could make any difference at all on a power steering, street only car. I am one to do things absolutely 100% when I upgrade anything. I share no expense so I wouldn’t hesitate for a split second to buy one if I felt it was the right way to go. I have zero play in my original set up. I was also told that the Mopar steering box splined shaft is designed to drift in and out slightly so a rigid set up with one of those couplers is not a good idea. GM and Ford is ok, but not Mopar. Any feedback from you guys is much appreciated!! Thanks!

You need new friends to give you advice. Thinking for yourself is a better idea, as you are doing just fine on your own.................

You need the factory rubber rag joint (this is the one that fails most frequently and dangerously), several good and affordable solutions are out there (LAND ROVER makes a perfect replacement for $16). Search this forum for threads detailing the fix.

The pot metal square box coupler down by the box is definitely something you DO NOT want to put an inflexible joint in. That joint is designed to slip vertically, and rebuild kits gaskets and covers are available. I've rebuilt mine (and added a zirk fitting to keep the grease filled up - they can seep, and if the grease can come out, dirt can get in), and installed a new rubber rag joint, and it makes the car feel so much better steering wise.

I agree with the rest of the guys. I had my steering box rebuilt by steer and gear 5 years ago, and replaced the rest of the stock suspension. Couldn't be happier.

I bought they're products before and I can tell you that they are good quality parts.

I really appreciate the input fellas. It would have taken some pretty serious convincing for me to get one of those aftermarket couplers but still wanted to throw it out there. I honestly think those things are a total rip off. I can’t see how they are any advantage at all. And they want $250.00 for the things!! Good God!!

Back