flickering lights

Alternator is barely keeping up, if at all. Get a 65A alternator.
A higher rating than 65A in your car will/may fry your wiring.

Bad diode in older style round back bad rectifier in square back same idea in square but not replaceable as single diode.

That was a little confusing to me, Dave.
Let me see if I got this right.
Older = Round = Diode = Diode is replaceable.
Newer = Square = Rectifier = trash.
How am I doing?

That was a little confusing to me, Dave.
Let me see if I got this right.
Older = Round = Diode = Diode is replaceable.
Newer = Square = Rectifier = trash.
How am I doing?

Older, round has a replaceable, press in diode. The diodes are individually replaceable.

Square back has a rectifier bridge (basically the diodes are strung together on a bracket) that is easier to replace. Unbolt the old and bolt the new one in. You're replacing half the diodes though and not one at a time.

Older, round has a replaceable, press in diode. The diodes are individually replaceable.

Square back has a rectifier bridge (basically the diodes are strung together on a bracket) that is easier to replace. Unbolt the old and bolt the new one in. You're replacing half the diodes though and not one at a time.

What he said.

I are now a little smarter about alternators thanks to you two gentleman.
I took the dummy's way out all my life. Replace the alternator....

Posted via Topify on Android

My uncle used to rebuild Mopar alternators. He had the contract to rebuild all the New York State Troopers alternators and starters back in the sixties and seventies when they ran Plymouths.

I learned a few things just by hanging around his shop!

My friend has a auto electric shop he can answer questions like these in his sleep, I try to pay attention to the mopar stuff sadly the auto alt and starter biz is all but gone thanks to aap and az etc. he still does a lot of oddball stuff like a starter for a 1956 hyster but they are not beating the door down, he btw Stan is where I learned the tap around the clutch pulley to get stuff like that off ie the alt on my big truck is like this.

Those guys are disappearing.
And as I get older, at a much faster rate than I'm comfortable with.
I get depressed.

Posted via Topify on Android

He is younger than me if only by 5 years but it is literally the only place he has ever worked except a lawnmower shop in high school. He started the part time under the original owner has moved twice with business and then bought it from second owner. He is one of those guys that gets the car after it has been at 5 different garages the last one or the 6th place says " take it to A1 if they can't fix it just trade the car"

He's a dinsaur.
We have one old time radiator shop that's left.
He's up there. Opens to meet people only.

Just a thought....I had the same problem and it was a loose connection at the high beam switch on the floor. At idle, it was loose enough flicker the lights.

At idle it runs I low, around 12.5-13. At speed it runs between 14.2-14.5. I'm leaning towards electronic ignition and upgraded solid state regulator so that may help if it is indeed a bad regulator. Thanks!

Back