Follow Up on Windshield Wiper Motor, Cam, and Wipers

rsbolin

Reaction score
All,

First, please review the pictures posted and tell me if I have sourced the correct cam for the wipers. Second, if this is correct part, how do I connect to the wipers. The motor, I have been told by the previous owner, works fine. Any, and all, direction to assist me in getting the wipers connected is greatly appreciated. I need this to me daily driver as soon as possible.
IMG_0375.jpeg

1978 New Yorker Brougham with 17,728 miles. Recent work: new gas tank, new fuel sending unit, new fuel filter, new air filter, new plugs, new plug wires, fresh oil change. Next up are new Nexen 235/75R15 tires, KYB shocks, and replace roof rail molding (source would be appreciated).

Ron

IMG_0374.jpegIMG_0375.jpegIMG_0376.jpegIMG_0377.jpegIMG_0378.jpegIMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0379.jpeg

All,

First, please review the pictures posted and tell me if I have sourced the correct cam for the wipers. Second, if this is correct part, how do I connect to the wipers. The motor, I have been told by the previous owner, works fine. Any, and all, direction to assist me in getting the wipers connected is greatly appreciated. I need this to me daily driver as soon as possible.View attachment 589292

1978 New Yorker Brougham with 17,728 miles. Recent work: new gas tank, new fuel sending unit, new fuel filter, new air filter, new plugs, new plug wires, fresh oil change. Next up are new Nexen 235/75R15 tires, KYB shocks, and replace roof rail molding (source would be appreciated).

Ron

View attachment 589291View attachment 589292View attachment 589293View attachment 589294View attachment 589295View attachment 589297

View attachment 589296
RB, Where did you find the cam?

Thanks!

JH

Desert Valley Auto in Arizona.
Thanks for the fast reply. I can't tell from you pics, but I'm wondering how many pieces are in the cam? It appears only to be two, the with outer ring and the inner brown piece. Are there other pieces you can't see?

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply. I can't tell from you pics, but I'm wondering how many pieces are in the cam? It appears only to be two, the with outer ring and the inner brown piece. Are there other pieces you can't see?
Good question. I am not sure. Someone else on the forum that has done a complete fabrication of a replacement may know. Look back through this string and look for the links. I recall seeing something about fabricating a new cam that was step-by-step.
I still do not have mine hooked up. Mainly due to my lack of knowledge of the components beyond the cam and connecting the sweep and the arms.
Ron

I think I have an NOS rebuild kit of some kind for a 70s C-Body in my garage. I will have to dig it out and post the PN#.

Good question. I am not sure. Someone else on the forum that has done a complete fabrication of a replacement may know. Look back through this string and look for the links. I recall seeing something about fabricating a new cam that was step-by-step.
I still do not have mine hooked up. Mainly due to my lack of knowledge of the components beyond the cam and connecting the sweep and the arms.
Ron
RS,
Thanks for the reply. The only fix I have seen is cutting the end off of the linkage assembly and welding on a new end from a 74-77 and then using the more readily available cams from 74-77. My hope is to find one that is in good enough shape that I can scan it, clean it up in Autocad and then make a 3d version for the seemingly millions of people looking for this specific part. Every time I come back, it seems like there is a new post looking for an answer to this issue.

Thanks again for the reply. If you have any ideas on where I can get a cam to scan, please let me know.

JH

Back