For all you fender tag lovers! Tag from my 1968 Chrysler

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to de-code this? I could never figure out how to work the decoders online! Here’s a pic of the tag
7F96D19C-2C83-44F1-8A9C-E5701D91F54D.jpeg

This is what I came up with from this site. 1967-1968 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth

IMO, the best way I've found using these sites for this era of car is do your best with entering in the top and adjust it based on what you get back. When I first did it, I was off my a digit on two rows because, as you can see, these decoders for this era don't line up well when your entering the codes.

upload_2022-1-5_18-38-37.png

But by hitting the delete or space bar you can get the codes to line up with what is on your fender tag when you look at how it decoded. I'm sure others can fill in the "Unknowns".

CAR: Chrysler New Yorker 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: September 01.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Red Interior.
PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).
OTHER: White Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
30: Body Belt Mouldings
59: Unknown Option
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
B3: Cruise Control
K8: Power Windows
L9: Power Vent Windows
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R2: Music Master AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
b5: Rear Arm Rest w/ Ashtray
j7: Unknown Option

This is what I came up with from this site. 1967-1968 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth

IMO, the best way I've found using these sites for this era of car is do your best with entering in the top and adjust it based on what you get back. When I first did it, I was off my a digit on two rows because, as you can see, these decoders for this era don't line up well when your entering the codes.

View attachment 507722

But by hitting the delete or space bar you can get the codes to line up with what is on your fender tag when you look at how it decoded. I'm sure others can fill in the "Unknowns".

CAR: Chrysler New Yorker 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: September 01.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Red Interior.
PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).
OTHER: White Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
30: Body Belt Mouldings
59: Unknown Option
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
B3: Cruise Control
K8: Power Windows
L9: Power Vent Windows
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R2: Music Master AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
j7: Unknown Option

You are awesome!! Thank you so much for that. This is awesome knowledge. Given the September 01 build date, would you think it’s possible that this was a 1967 build? I know the knew models came out around that time!

Just noticed I had j7 instead of h7. Here is the corrected abc codes. I simply deleted a space from before the 7 to fix it and pressed the decode button again.
abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

As many on here will tell you, the build date was actually called a SPD, Scheduled Production Date on later cars but it's the same thing. Yours would definitely be an early 68 but it could have been built earlier or later then Sept 1. Sept 1 Build Date, ie. SPD would be a 68

Yes “scheduled” build date September 1 1967

‘68 model year started August’67

Sorry, this is the correct answer, I didn't answer your question, I went down a rabbit hole. Sorry about that.

Sorry, this is the correct answer, I didn't answer your question, I went down a rabbit hole. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the awesome info!!! Really helps me know a bit more about my car. This it how it sits as we speak

64CD0283-C108-4112-B8ED-CE02E1BAFF36.jpeg

you have a big red car with 440/350hp, built 9/1/67, 5 tires 8:55X14, red bucket seat, 2:76 rear axle gear, post more pix please

Nice car. Mine is Scorch Red with a black vinyl top built in October 67. The red buffs out really nice. It's interesting to see other 68 New Yorkers with different options. Your bucket seat car is worth saving no matter what issues it has:)

Nice car. Mine is Scorch Red with a black vinyl top built in October 67. The red buffs out really nice. It's interesting to see other 68 New Yorkers with different options. Your bucket seat car is worth saving no matter what issues it has:)

So awesome that our cars are close in age! PP1 is indeed a very beautiful color. I have been working on this car for 2 years now and still have quite a bit on my plate with it. I recently acquired the parts needed for a 1972 Disc Brake conversion. Super excited to get this girl on the road! She's been gone twice as long as I've been alive (42 years off the road, 21 year old owner)

while we're talking 68 NewYorker, can I show my ,again

View attachment 514481

View attachment 514484

View attachment 514485

Stunning car! Thanks for sharing pics. I love any pics I can get of our cars. My camera roll is flooded with pics of old cars :D

View attachment 514506
@Isaiah Estrada @GOLDMYN
Have either of you guys removed the lower trim that is on the rocker panels? I've collected the trim to add to mine, but I have no idea what the clips look like. I also need to know what the clips look like that hold the bottom of the trim the is on the lower part of the door.

I haven't taken it off yet, but I really need to! I found a complete set of lower trim for a 2DHT NY'er and I nabbed it up on eBay when I saw it. This was probably mid 2020. Still in the box, never have opened it up :wideyed: I will be removing it soon for bodywork / paint. When I do, I will report back to you. I've been wondering the same thing for my ride, and it's stressing me because I have lots of missing trim so I worry about clips keeping me from having it all on!

...lower trim that is on the rocker panels? ...what the clips look like...
I haven't ever had these apart, myself, but I gathered a few pics and info that may or may not help you. There is reference-to/pics-of that 6001 786 clip on a thread over on B-bodies if I can find it again.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

Clips.jpeg

QuarterDoorSillTrim.jpg

PS: I assumed 4-door based on your sig pic

M

Back