For the original markings people

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There is a number on the back of the inside rear view mirror, this same number is written on the back of the Certicard.

I have never seen reference to this.
I have seen a number like this (V-0000) written on an owners manual.

Has anybody ever seen something like this?

1983-06-15_020.jpg

1983-06-15_022.jpg

Alan

Dealer stock number?
Since it was on the certicard, was it related to service?

You would see the number on the mirror from the outside making it easier to find the right car.

Dealer stock number?
Since it was on the certicard, was it related to service?

You would see the number on the mirror from the outside making it easier to find the right car.
I have always felt it was a dealer stock number of a sort, just not sure if it was added at the factory or by the dealers.

I think the intent was to clean it off when the car was delivered but the brushed metal made it difficult, why not just mark the windshield? Or the mirror face.

Alan

Dealer.

The factory may not know where the car would be sold I.e sales bank, pool, etc.

Dealer.

The factory may not know where the car would be sold I.e sales bank, pool, etc.

The windshield would wash off in the rain. On the back of the mirror, you could do a quick walk through and see the number.

Hang tags would work better but a marker was cheaper.

Typically, ANY markings of that sort (CertiCard, owner's manual, etc.) were done at the dealership by their people. Some dealers removed the owner's manual packet and put them in a file, matching them up with sold units at point of sale. Keeping track of CertiCards could be similar. The CertiCard owner information was put on at the dealership when new or when the car was re-sold at the dealer's used car lot and transfer the 5/50 warranty to the second owner. One of the first industrial uses of the Dymo Label Maker?

The rear view mirror seems a little extreme, as to what it took to do that, but safe. When the VIN plates were at the base of the windshield, much of that became not-needed.

A dealer's "stock number" could be the last section of the VIN or a self-generated number, at their discretion. Something to reference the vehicle to the appropriate "vehicle folder" in the filing system.

Many dealers would remove and store the spare tires from pickups, if they were in an area where they were prone to be stolen. Many took the chance, not desiring to go through what it took to keep up with them in the parts room.

CBODY67

Back