For the sharp eyed C body people

imperialman

Reaction score
Members here have much sharper eyes at picking out discrepancies in photos than I do.
The seller says this car has its original paint.
I'm not so sure. Outside of the car looked good but these underhood pictures have me suspicious.
There seems to be a paint line? and a definite color difference between underhood and outside of the car .Opinions? Two of the photos are duplicates (sorry).

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:
The places where it has been scraped do not appear to show another layer of paint, car probably has not been repainted. Needs a repaint anyway, so it is probably not a big deal.

Dave

a 64 with factory air , is rare . the colors do look different . but is there a repaint edge from the tape line or any overspray on anything , chrome , trim , door hinges , latches ? my 64 k is a repaint .
Scan0036_0036.jpg
Scan0037_0037.jpg

a 64 with factory air , is rare . the colors do look different . but is there a repaint edge from the tape line or any overspray on anything , chrome , trim , door hinges , latches ? my 64 k is a repaint . View attachment 190262 View attachment 190263
No overspray or tape lines that I can see from the so-so photos of the outside of the car.
. I just want to be reasonably sure of original paint before I make a six hour drive to look at the car and find a MACCO special.
The seller has been reluctant to answer specific questions .

Might be best to presume there's been some "re-paint" somewhere it its history, partial or full, which might explain the seller's reluctance to take about what he knows little/any about. Just pay accordingly to the lowest suspicion and then be glad when it actually IS original paint . . . although it probably needs to be repainted anyway. IF it's a car you want.

CBODY67

Paint looks original to me. Hard to see the firewall because of the shadow. If it was repainted it must have been done a long time ago.
Although it appears they used a V2, it's not factory air. Usually these 300s had 383s. You might want to look for 1964 paint samples to verify this color.

Looks like a 383 2-bbl to me, am I missing something? What does the dash look like? No aftermarket dash hanger is there?

I’m not great at posting ads but it’s a 63 Newport that someone here posted awhile ago. KC Craigslist. 361 engine.

It doesn't appear to be fresh paint or painted recently. What is OP telling you?

It doesn't appear to be fresh paint or painted recently. What is OP telling you?
He said original paint but wouldn’t elaborate when I asked more questions. I get it’s not a concours car, and I’m not expecting that . My posting a question here was because the under hood pictures looked to me to show a marked difference in the colors between underhood and the exterior of the car. I just didn’t want to drive 6 hours one way and find a nightmare of a poorly repainted car.

Last edited:
Uh yeah...it's been repainted, but maybe a LONG time ago. Unless it sat under a car cover for 20 yrs. with the hood open, the paint UNDER the hood should be less faded than the paint on the body.

Repaint or not, this paint is so old it should have bad bodywork reappear already. Could be original paint but you Need to see it in Person.

To me, the main reason to inquire about "original paint" would be an indication of any significant collision or hail damage earlier in the vehicle's life. In any event, unless it was done in the past 10 years or so, with normal exposure, the paint might need re-doing anyway. I'll concur that it can be a moot point, but having an idea of the vehicle's paint history might be good to know. Considering how many body shops tended to operate in the '60s and such, you can tell if it's the original Chrysler acrylic enamel paint job . . . "texture" is one key thing, as would be overspray in hidden areas. PLUS, many shops usually shot acrylic lacquer back then (also mentioned in the Chrysler service manual as an option) due to the fact that shooting any kind of enamel paint needed a much less-dusty spray environment (not all shops had spray booths back then!) than did lacquer paints. BUT, there is a gloss difference plus texture differences between acrylic enamel and acrylic lacquer. If you know what each one looks like, plus the fact that lacquer paints usually have much more buffing done to them, it's easy to spot.

CBODY67

To me, the main reason to inquire about "original paint" would be an indication of any significant collision or hail damage earlier in the vehicle's life.

CBODY67
And don't forget bondo then painting over rust!

Last edited:
For bondo, there's the knuckle "tap test", using your bent index finger, as you casually stroll around the car. If a normal tap turns into a "thud" in a particular area, then you can eyeball that area for filler having been blended-in prior to prime and paint. Might even be a small amount of sand scratches around that area, under the paint.

CBODY67

Back