For the trans gurus..

furyus 67

Reaction score
Or anyone else that may know. I picked another used trans . Supposed to be a great working trans(aren't they all) anyway, I'm cleaning the one I picked up and notice the hole in the back of the case
IMG_1529.JPG
now I compare this to the trans I pulled out of the fury and besides the rtv the other seems to have a plug.
IMG_1530.JPG
I was hoping to put this new trans in the fury today. Any insight on what it's for or is there further action needed? Thanks.

That's the pivot for the reverse band arm. No further action needed. I found this on the web and already circled.

TF01.gif

I had one that had silicone goobered over it too, after the rebuild there was no need for the rtv.

Thanks Big John and Matt! I tried google first , must not have had the correct "key words". I guess that's a good sign of a rebuild....maybe. Hopefully this torque flite plays well with the Hughes 2500 stall that Im putting in. I hate the crap shoot of used parts but with one off to college next year the boat is still on a budget!

Last edited:
Not a smartass question but, what does the reverse adjuster adjust?
It adjusts the amount of slack in the low/reverse band. You tighten it until it clamps on the drum and then back off the adjusting screw a couple turns.

The low/reverse band is only used when the trans is in (ready for this?).. low and reverse. It holds the rear drum stationary so all the planetary gears inside can do their magic.

The RTV was there to seal a leak, there is a o-ring in the case to seal the shaft, to change the o-ring you have to remove the tailshaft and remove pressure from the band and slide the shaft out the rear of the case then you can pick the o-ring out of the case.

Well f$&k me running lol. At closer inspection of my supposed "69" transmission I realize "hey!" It's not a 69!! It's a one year only 66 lever operated tf with a 19 spline output shaft. Of course my new stall is a 67+ 24 spline. Think you can find a 25-2800 stall for a 19 spline...NOT REALLY. Found a few rebuilds here and there . So I guess I'm cracking apart 2 trans to swap output shafts....wish me luck!

Story of this mopar Stan! But hey I'm learning! Maybe more than I wanted to lol. Ah well I'll get this thing together one way or another!!

Useful data to me! I've got a '66 TF w 3rd gear going south and a 77 TF I wanted to use to replace it. I was afraid the old one would be a 19 spline job, and I think you've confirmed it for me. DAMNNATION! Take heart that your tale of suffering has minimized mine. I wish you well.

Actually all the 70 and earlier are pretty much the same small pump support and besides the input spline difference, also no part throttle kick down in valve body till 72.

Well so much for a simple input shaft swap. First picture is the 66, it's a bit different on the output shaft than the 69 I pulled out of the fury.
IMG_1550.JPG
nice to know the 69 has a 4 gear up front. Here's the 69.
IMG_1551.JPG
Oh how I love learning curves... I am so far from a transmission guy. A buddy knows some gurus down in Roseville he's gonna call tomorrow and find out the best rout to take from here. Crap I might as well rebuild and put a kit in at this point.

Be
The inside of the 66 is mint and the 69 has the 4 gear front. Might end up combining the 2. Any differences with clutches and bands?
Better off replacing the clutches, steels and piston seals in the 69. The spring counts will be different.

Back