For those with real wood

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
In their cars that might be looking 47 years old like mine was, "was" being the operative word...
I'd been wanting to try this for some time and I finally took the time yesterday while I was installing my newly modernized old radio. I had the rear seat out so I could run the speaker wire and get at the package tray but before I put it back I figured I'd do some cleaning and that's when I decided to try it.
I like to use tung oil or other natural oils on some of my furniture projects. It's pure and all natural, you can even rub it in with your bare hands and its good for them. I figured it would be a good thing to rejuvenate the dried up and faded veneer in my Imperial but I didn't think it would work as well as it did! Here are some before pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anybody with a boat could have told you that. LOL. J/K. Looks great.

My friend Lance "The Destroyer" taught me a trick on the FAKE veneer.
Minwax Polyshade.

And here are some after pics. I'll post more after I finish the rest but it literally only took more about 45 minutes to do everything but the dash. Go to a good local hardware or home center and get a small container of 100% tung oil. Online at Amazon would be a good choice too. Just give it a quick cleaning with a damp rag and let it dry for a little while before putting the oil on. I used a small cotton rag, wrapped it around my finger and dipped it in the oil and rubbed it into the wood. The transformation is instant and the wood looks almost like new again. I had a clean rag handy to wipe off the excess after I was finished wiping it on. I don't even think you need to mask anything I was just careful not to get it on the vinyl door panels but wasn't worried at all about getting it on the surrounding chrome or painted trim as it wipes right off.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I probably shouldn't have clicked on the "thanks" button. All you have done is added a new project to my list.

Seriously, though, it looks really good and it's way easier than replacing or refinishing. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone know a good way to reattach the wood where it is separating from the base? I have three pieces that are starting to peel back from the metal. I've thought about using a dab of clear silicone to keep them from coming off altogether.

You don't want to use silicone and contact adhesive would be preferred for installing entire pieces because you have to coat both and let them tack before sticking. I would try crazy glue quite honestly.

Last edited:
Matt you're really going to Dress this Beauty up for Carlisle.
I wonder what happens when I have this rubbed on my 44 year old wood.

Matt you're really going to Dress this Beauty up for Carlisle.
I wonder what happens when I have this rubbed on my 44 year old wood.
I think you should try it and keep the results to yourself.:laughing4:

Back