Ford vs Ferrari

rapidtrans

Reaction score
I’m really looking forward to this movie.
This competition was as big as Plymouth and Petty’s vendettas with Ford and Nascar imo.
As a kid I followed this competition pretty closely. Even built a GT40 slot car to run against my Ferraris. That whole story of stuffing a big V8 in a gorgeous car and winning Lemans.
The Lemans car is one of my favorite race cars of all time. Either the Gulf blue and orange or the dark blue and white versions.
Then you consider the characters. Shelby, Iacocca, The Deuce, and drivers Miles, Gurney, Andretti, McClaren, Donohue, Ruby etc.
Even knowing how it ends I look forward to the ride.

What say you?

Read the book "Go Like Hell", excellent treatise on the rivalry. A friend loaned it to me several years ago, I've now got the audiobook and listening to it on my commute. Pretty danged good stuff.

Robert

I saw a preview on tv and am excited for it. I may even make it to a theater for probably the 5th or 6th time in 30 years to see it on the big screen.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I tend to go to the documentary movies if we go to the theater.
Churchill, Rush, Chappiquidick etc.

I'm really looking forward to it, and I don't even like Fords. This has the makings of a great story, featuring some of the big names in the auto industry at the time.

If one of my gearhead friends wants to go see it at the theatre I will go. Otherwise I'll ask for the Bluray for Christmas if it's out by then, or for my birthday if not, and wait til then to see it.

I'm really looking forward to it, and I don't even like Fords. This has the makings of a great story, featuring some of the big names in the auto industry at the time.

If one of my gearhead friends wants to go see it at the theatre I will go. Otherwise I'll ask for the Bluray for Christmas if it's out by then, or for my birthday if not, and wait til then to see it.

Certain movies I want to see on the big screen. The sights and sounds of this one, as was Rush, should be great in a big theater. As great as my home screen and sound system is it doesn’t do the movies justice.

Y
Churchill, Rush, Chappiquidick etc.
Chappaquiddick was surprisingly good! Didn't see Rush as I'm not interested. By Churchill, do you mean "Darkest Hour?" If so, that one was superb!

I swill go see the film in question as I like the principal actors.

We were lucky enough to go see the movie stars. They filmed much this out by me. I saw the open hauler filled w old GTs and Ferrari and thought what cool car show did I miss??? Later we figured out what they were for.

6A893EB2-59C2-46D3-812F-97B4C78027EB.jpeg

24AA4826-84CD-46DF-907C-02AE832E6C5E.jpeg

4E667363-C8DB-46CB-966E-6FCAC49A86D6.jpeg

05477A60-B758-45B4-BC70-6C8550E05DE5.jpeg

D2BEA929-6B77-4C04-9D04-9F4B8256E8CE.jpeg

0AA5846C-387A-46CB-B6BB-012F5BE175C0.jpeg

4F6E90CA-0C85-4CCB-B6D8-27894693EC2C.jpeg

Look how low these critters are. My niece Mags is in kindergarten.

Wasn't the story that Ford wanted to buy out Ferrari and old man Enzo snubbed him? So Ford got pissed and took it to him at Le Mans?

Wasn't the story that Ford wanted to buy out Ferrari and old man Enzo snubbed him? So Ford got pissed and took it to him at Le Mans?

I believe it had to do not with Ford buying Ferrari, which he agreed to, but with the fact that Ford would take over the racing department (which is what they probably wanted) and Enzo could not abide that so he backed out. Control of making cars was Ok, control of the motorsports program was not Ok.

I'm curious about the end of the race. It is known that Ford took 1-2-3. It is also known that Henry, knowing his cars were to finish that way, wanted all three to cross the finish line together for a great photo op. Shelby radioed to Miles, who had a large lead, to slow down for the other two. I believe he may have protested some but did. Then at the last second McClaren hit his throttle to cross the line first leaving second place for Miles. He had already won Daytona and Sebring and winning this would have been the Triple Crown of racing. As far as I am concerned Miles won the race despite official results.

So Goose were those pictures taken in the Petersen Museum?
Nope. That’s at Shelby American in Gardena Ca. They do a couple Shelby type shows there every year. This year they had all the movie stuff. It’s also where they do the annual Shelby Tribute show. Really rare and cool stuff shows up. This show had a real deal Shelby Daytona Coupe & a real GT40 and Ken Mile’s son Peter was the guest of honor.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. We saw the coming attractions the last time at the movies. Even Mrs. Big John wants to see it.

Of course, I hated going to the movies until the "Movie Tavern" opened up. It's great... Make a reservation on line, then you sit in a recliner and they bring you food and drinks. It made going to the movies a good experience again. https://www.marcustheatres.com/theatre-locations/movie-tavern-syracuse?Date=11-01-2019

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. We saw the coming attractions the last time at the movies. Even Mrs. Big John wants to see it.

Of course, I hated going to the movies until the "Movie Tavern" opened up. It's great... Make a reservation on line, then you sit in a recliner and they bring you food and drinks. It made going to the movies a good experience again. https://www.marcustheatres.com/theatre-locations/movie-tavern-syracuse?Date=11-01-2019
Never heard of "the Movie Tavern" John. Might be fun now that I'm a non-smoker. My ONE story about the GT40:: Leaving a gun show that took place in a closed up grocery store on the north side of Detroit over the winter of '68-'69 I found myself looking at a black GT40 in the parking lot with a F/S in the window for $8900.00 and I wrote down the phone number on the sign. My '66 Riviera cost $5000 off the show room floor in '66 and I had some sleepless nightz trying figure out how to pull off that flip and acquisition. Never called the # because It would have had to have been a D.D. at that point in my life and I knew that waz way wrong for that beast. And I also know what that thing waz back then and what it would become, Jer

Those living room theatres are pretty dang cool. I’ve only been once as Pasadena is pretty far. We got our tickets to see it in 70mm at the Dome. It’s the biggest screen on the west coast. Awesome for action movies like this. I got high hopes for this one...

DB24E93A-021B-4DE7-BB1D-09243F54B4AC.jpeg

Cinerama Dome on the sunset strip.

I love seeing movies in the theater, something about the feeling of it all. I don't do it as much as I used to a decade ago. This is one of the movies that would be worth making time to go see.

The Hagerty Ins. magazine I just got in the mail has a great article about this movie and historical documentary of the battle.

Back