Freeze Plugs

67-Fury

Reaction score
While i have the engine out that will go in my car, I Think i will replace all the Freeze plugs with Brass ones. The one plug has some House expansion foam around it because it leaked.(I thought that stuff was just for Fixing Quarter panels :rolleyes:) My question is should i just pound them right in or use a little bit of black silicone or some sort of sealant just for good measure?

I like Big_Johns Permatex #1 suggestion, but I have used a lot of #2
upload_2017-1-15_20-14-44.png

Either one would work well.

I use Indian Head or permatex high tack/aviation sealant. 1 5/8 for the block, a little sand paper to clean scale and rust from the hole, coat both surfaces plug and hole smack it in just below the edge with a socket the fits just inside the plug sidewalls. I usually just get steel ones from auto parts store but you are young and will live long enough to probably outlast the steel ones so maybe you should get brass.

Carefully hammer them in, using ideally a soft drift of brass or copper. A socket, about 1 1/4", I think worked for me when forced to work under the both of my motors. I had trouble with the passenger side behind the motor mount and had my motor in situ so had to settle for expandable copper/bronze plugs, but soon as I get a motor out of the engine compartment, it will be all brass plugs w Indian Head shellac. (Permatex)

Then get a donor anode to put in the coolant soup in the radiator to prevent it from leaching iron from the water jacket's exposed surfaces. That's the ONE compelling use for steel plugs, as sacrificial anodes, but this isn't worth the eventual cost of increased inconvenience from having to replace them at the worst times in my book. Both the 440 I had in my '66 NYer 11 yrs ago and my 383 in the Newport have had the steel plugs rust through. Using good antifreeze/anti-rust doubtless adds years of life to steel plugs, but I say go with brass. I had to use a sanding drum on an extension to remove the corrosion-welded remnants of the steel plug behind that passenger side motor mount. NEVER AGAIN!, at least, not on any motor I've worked on.

Back