Freshman Automotve Philosophy, 1st Semester

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Today's discussion in AP101 (4 credits) is:
If I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Range oil which is rated for 15k miles before needing to be changed, and, if my engine burns a qt. of oil every 3k miles, will I ever have to do an oil change?
Discussions relating to the need to changing the oil filter will be disregarded.
Bueller? Beuller?

Have you seen this barn?

11A-Old-Red-Barn-East-Britton-and-Midwest-Blvd.-looking-southeast-mid-shot.jpg

Ah finally get rid of that eyesore of a dipstick!

No to Stan's question, because your engine will be blown up when it runs out of oil at the 15,000 miles.

No also to Dave's question, but I would suggest going to the last place you remember having it, and start your search there.

Be aware that I saw Billy with some matches, and you know what happened last time..........

2008 August (57).jpg

Have you seen this barn?

Yep. On Fletchman Rd. in Vermont. Just past the curve in the road where the stone wall ends. Unless you're coming from the other end of Fletchman Rd. so it would be right before the curve in the road where the stone wall starts.

I say yes, as the contaminants are still in the existing oil and will accumulate in volume through that period and also the breakdown of the oil will also be an issue, unless you gave your engine specific rules that it could only leak/burn the oldest oil first.

If you are not a believer, just drink one quart of your gallon of milk and only replace the top quart with new milk, never replacing the container or the bottom 3 quarts, just letting the new milk mix with the remaining, keeping it perfectly replenished and fresh. Yummy.....

Last edited:
I would say no. The shelf life of oil is debatable. I've read articles/forums that say the shelf life of oil is from 2 to 25 years depending on how it is stored. Oil manufacturers don't publish those facts because they move/sell their stock rapidly. I suppose if you wrote to them they would supply some roundabout scientific answer. With the filter being a moot issue I say no is the answer to Stan's question.

"...that say the shelf life of oil is from 2 to 25 years "
I figure my 25 year roof shingles from 2006 will wear out just about the same time I do.

I figure my 25 year roof shingles from 2006 will wear out just about the same time I do.

Stan,

You'll last longer than the roof singles.

What! And have to put on a new roof??? Pffftttt...

I'm sure we can find a couple of qualified roofers at Home Depot or 7/11 that will work for a few peso's with your expert supervision from a lawn chair.

If you are not a believer, just drink one quart of your gallon of milk and only replace the top quart with new milk, never replacing the container or the bottom 3 quarts, just letting the new milk mix with the remaining, keeping it perfectly replentished and fresh. Yummy.....

Thats a very good analogy and the exact reason why I say yes......

:sSig_goodjob:

"... I figure my 25 year roof shingles from 2006 will wear out just about the same time I do.

Stan, just don't lay on the roof 24-7 and you will be fine. The rain, hail and all that Florida sun can be hard on you. :sick:

Are you drawing an analogy between the oil to the roof shingles or are you just making a blanket statement off topic statement , like about barns?

If yes then its a poor one.

The shingles have a 25 year warranty. Guaranteed not to wear out and break apart before 25 years. Now coming apart because of poor installation is another story.

Back