From C Body to D Body?

Boomer

Reaction score
Who'd a thunk it. Figured I was done with anything Mopar for a while after the Road Shark went to its new home. Was talking with a friend who has a few cars including a '65 Crown convertible, showed some photos to my wife, for some reason she likes the '64-'66 style quite a bit.

So that means another learning curve. Can always fall back on my buddy's knowledge but would like to get some ideas as to what I should look for/look out for, avoid, etc. If we get one it would have to be a drop top, no sedans regardless of door numbers.

I recall from younger days that Imperials were considered a high end luxury car, on par or better than Cadillac or Lincoln. Have never done a comparison but I do wonder how that translates to repair/restoration parts and availability. Last thing I want to do is get something I either can't afford to maintain or can't find parts for.

And I wonder.....if I do go from a C to a D body, is that considered moving to the Dark Side?

It would be great if you could post some pics of this car. You'll find a lot on Imperial interest here on this board. Parts will be harder to find but well worth it.

If owning a '65 Imperial convertible puts you into the dark side, sign me up! I would consider it the direct predecessor of the C-body, so without the D there may not be what we know as C's?

Owning an Imperial puts you into a class of your own if you choose a year that is distinctly different in style than the other Chrysler cars of that year. Appreciated by some and looked at overbearing by others.
r

Yep, I recall well looking at those big, 'tubby' cars in my younger years and wondering who in their right mind would want one. Being a bit older and wiser now and appreciating some of the finer points of life and cars makes it a bit clearer. I learned to drive on a B-body Plymouth and Dodge and a little on a C-Body Fury III. So the 'class warfare' thing is sarcasm on my part for sure. I like 'em all, have just come to appreciate the big cars more in recent years. Just not crazy about 4 doors unless it's the 'suicide' or chauffeur style set up.

Of course, from the little bit of looking I've done stuff like upholstery and other bits and pieces don't seem to be as easy to find, but the 300 I had was no walk in the park either. Guess I'll worry about that if/when I actually drive one home. Haven't looked at one yet other than online stuff. Hoping to see some at Carlisle this weekend. I do like the fact that they were still body-on-frame cars until '67 at least.

I was more just picking brains for things to look for, either options to seek out or things to avoid as big headaches, prone to failure, etc. For example, I remember decades ago while learning about MGBs, that if the doors were difficult to open, check the floor for rust. Stuff like that.

The only thing I know so far from reading here is that power vents are the best thing since sliced bread. :D

parts are readily available for my 78 New Yorker vs my 67 Imperial
I should think that parts commonality is the issue here. A lot of parts for your '78 NY would also be applicable to C-body Dodges, Plymouths, and Newports from 1974 to '78. Most parts for a '67 Imperial would only apply to 1967 and '68 Imperials.

They are the shizzle.
Now, how did I know you'd agree? :D

Have been reading up on whatever I can, seems there are at least a few things used across multiple years. A lot for 64-66, for example. If I read correctly, the window motors and/or mechanisms appear to have been used from the late 50s/early60s up into the 70s? If so, that's good since it seems to be a high-failure rate item. I'm sure cleaning and lubing would help any older system.

Going to look at a '65 tomorrow, wife is all but sending me. That has to be a good sign. Need to hurry before she wakes up.

Back