Front drum brakes. Rims & hubs hot

dcjoe22

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 66 Fury with drum brakes on the front. I have a single Master Cylinder. I had some squealing in my front brakes and I noticed the hubs and rims very extremely hot. I have replaced the wheel bearings, put on new drums and new shoes with all new brake hardware and my hub and rims still seem very hot to the touch after driving only 4 or 5 miles. I have taken rims off to double check everything, nut on wheel bearings not too tight & packed good with wheel bearing grease, brake hardware on correctly, no drag on brake adjustment, and still the same results. Brakes do not seem to be hanging up as I roll good of a stop. Any suggestions??
Dave

Hi guys,
I have a 66 Fury with drum brakes on the front. I have a single Master Cylinder. I had some squealing in my front brakes and I noticed the hubs and rims very extremely hot. I have replaced the wheel bearings, put on new drums and new shoes with all new brake hardware and my hub and rims still seem very hot to the touch after driving only 4 or 5 miles. I have taken rims off to double check everything, nut on wheel bearings not too tight & packed good with wheel bearing grease, brake hardware on correctly, no drag on brake adjustment, and still the same results. Brakes do not seem to be hanging up as I roll good of a stop. Any suggestions??
Dave

If the shoes are on correctly. The front hoses could be shot. And a old master cylinder can hold residual pressure.

I know that would be a problem on the rear brakes, it's been a long time since I've had front drums. Check you factory service manual to be sure.

Are they the same size on both sides. I'm wondering if you have the front shoes on one side and the rear shoes on the other.
That's exactly what I was thinking too, but it shouldn't cause the hot brake problem.

Are the rear brakes working? Or are the fronts doing all the work. After you drive it and they get hot, jack it up and see if they wheels are free or dragging. If they are dragging start looking at the brake hoses.

Back