front end alignment

jake

Reaction score
Any tips before i start my front end alignment on the 880? Please dont tell me to go have it gone, I have been told that by way too many people. I perfer to do as much as possible myself. thanks

Easy, inspect the suspension and steering. Replace any bent, worn, or loose parts.

Have to inspect and repair/replace those items before doing an alignment. You can't do an alignment if you have suspension/steering problems.

of course, but he's asking for advice or tips on an alignment.... not should I replace bad parts

I have done a complete rebuild of the front end, bushing, brakes, brake lines, disc upgrades, repaint, retorqued, tetorsioned, reeverything, rebuilt ps, steering column, steering linkage, rebuilt ps pump, etc, any tips?

Unless he has an alignment machine..........the tip would be take the car to a reputable shop to have the alignment done.

It can be done without a machine or electronics but with extreme patience and accuracy. I would like to try it but I'd rather pay the hundred bucks and be done with it.

I have patience and accuracy, I dont have trust in the local shops.

I believe that, most local shops wouldnt know what to do with your car. You would need to find an old school shop with an old school guy to make it work.

The only thing a shop will do now is the toe in & out. They can't do caster or camber per the FSM. I'll buy the shims, do it myself, and get it done right.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

You can get lifetime alignment at Firestone for $150. As long as you own the car you can take it in for a free alignment.

From what I remember as a kid, you can use string but why on earth would you do that? If you don't own the equipment, then take it to a pro.

I just had an alignment on my NY'er. Caster, camber, & toe all adjusted properly.

I was observing............the guy that owns the shop is a friend.

I tried Firestone once...there is one not even 2 mi down the road from me. I figured what the hell its near by.....they do suspensions...I can stand there and watch (make sure no bone head accidentally strip the reverse pattern threads with the air drill). The guy behind the computer never saw a 70' Chrysler Newport nor did it show up in their "data bank". I turned around, got in the car and he watched the tail lights of that 70' drive off. I go across the bridge and into another state for a small mom and pop shop. I wish I had a better first time experience--would save me some time but I can't bare the thought of taking the Newport there and having to supervise the techs.

Back