Front passenger seatbelt won't retract

Deke

Reaction score
73 Gran Fury. Seatbelt is fully extended so I can read the tag sewn on it. Tugging does not help. It originally retracted about halfway and if I fed it in, it would finish retracting, but nothing works now.

Is there something I can do, like sticking something inside to get it loosened up?

There's a place in MA www.safetyrestore.com/seat-belt who claim a 24 hr service once they receive the belt.

Contact them and see whether they can help you due to the age of the car.

855-552-7233

Nobody would suggest fiddling with a belt as - even if you get it retracted again there is no guarantee it will work when required.

Best of luck, I hope they can help or advise you and your issue is quickly resolved.

Double check to make sure it is not twisted up.
That can cause it not to retract.
i agree do not mess with the mechanism.
Locate a spare replacement and get yours repaired by a pro as suggested.

Anyone have a build manual that shows how I can actually GET to the retractor? I'm assuming I need to remove both sill plated to access how the "stub" column trim is attached? The belt comes through the trim piece. Shop manual just shows where it is, but not how to get to it.

Once I get it fixed, I'm thinking of selling as the economy is a little squirrely for me and I could use the funds.....

Back