Front shock options, ‘67 Crown Coupe

Rdtreur

Reaction score
I think my ‘67 imp needs new shocks up front. What are you guys running up front?

Can't speak for other brands as I only have experience with KYB's and am very satisfied. Always thought Lincolns had the best ride until I put these on my Crown with a rebuilt front end.

Today I put the front KYB shocks in. The old shocks Where monroe and there was ZERO life in them.. So the new KYB’s are way better:)! It’s all good now but what a f***ing job are those shocks to get in....
Tomorow the rear, I hope that wil take less time.

KYBs all the way around on my ‘72 and I love ‘em. The fronts are incredibly hard to do! The tears are a cinch.

I put KYBs on my 68 Fury and am seriously thinking of replacing them. I don't like the way they ride at all. I read all the time of guys taking their C-Bodies out for a drive and enjoying how smooth it rides. The KYBs on my Fury aren't smooth at all. Maybe they work better on a heavier C-Body than what the Fury is.

I don't mind a stiffer ride. In fact, I deliberately bought my 08 Chrysler 300 with the performance package - which gives it a stiffer ride but with better handling. But the KYB shocks on my Plymouth don't just give it a stiffer ride - it's more like the suspension is getting hammered without any improvement in handling.

That does seem odd. The Imperial is a completely different suspension so I can only speak for KYBs on them. But I put el cheapo gas shocks on my ‘68 300 and it rode very well. Maybe you have a defective shock? How are the control arm bushings? What you are experiencing really doesn’t sound normal to me.

I've had KYBs Gas-A-Just on Poppy, my '70 Polara 'vert, for 15 months and love the ride. @71Polara383 did the same on his '69 Servprolara wagon, and likes them as well. I know that @ImpJay got Monroes for his big white '73 beauty last month, but suppose one wanted to stick with KYBs:

1. are KYBs any harder to install on a fusie Imp than on a fusie Dodge? The fronts were a pain on the Dodge...
2. for a '73 LeBaron, the 4507 front shocks seem to be available at Summit, but for the rear Summit recommends the KYB Excel-G 343159 (Schoockwarehouse simply does not carry any KYB shock at all for the '73 rear). Seems right, or am I missing some KYB choices?
3. do the KYBs come with the necessary rubber bushings?

What do you guys use for your '72s and '73s? (@DocMcNeedy? @BLIMP? @saforwardlook? @Megawattkid? others?)

Last edited:
Back