Fuel and temp gauge dead

Jimda

Reaction score
The fuel and temp gauge in my 1968 polara are dead the others work. Any thoughts on where to start.

Thanks I'll check. Was hoping it was the just a matter of grounding the fuel sending unit but no such luck

Power to temp gauge runs through fuel gauge which has a built in regulator.
It could be you are not getting power to the fuel gauge. You will have to look at your schematic, but should have 12 volts going into the IP. If you have that going in then it is likely the built in voltage regulator in your fuel gauge. Either replace with a new gauge, or bypass the old VR (inside the fuel gauge) with a solid state regulator (r-t engineering). Either way you will have to remove the IP to get the gauge out to modify or replace.
Check power first.

Saw some rust on the fuse block right at that fuse going to clean it tuesday . Then check for power.

Sender wire should come up to the guage via lower driver seat, up through left cowl. Don't think any fuel guage issues run through the firewall however it is an area that deserves attention. I just spent 4 whole days and about $200 i new parts trying to figure my gauge issue. Would work well if VL was not grounded. Once the cluster was placed into dash. Would rise slightly and go back down. After testing ohms, grounds, etc. I ordered the MeterMatch product. Hasn't arrived yet but we'll see.

So I traced the wire all is good. I pulled the cluster out here is what I had
20210316_145803.jpg
the second is the new limiter how does it hook up and does it replace that condenser.
20210316_145815.jpg

First you have to pull the gauge out of the panel and make sure the old internal regulator (inside the gauge) is disabled. This is usually done so the point contact is bent out of the way and cannot close.
I think I have some Polara gauge pictures on here somewhere when I did it.

Sorry I am a novice at electric what part is the regulator
20210316_152506.jpg

The thing that looks like point’s two contacts together. You need to bend them apart so they cannot close again. However looking at your windings on your gauge (middle of picture) they look pretty burnt.

Zoomed in on the regulator. Contact points at the top of the picture.
D88B91BE-6C5D-4B44-A640-AD7577AD4B56.png

Post 3 in the link above shows mine bent apart and what posts to hook up to in the back of the op.

Is this wire broken? Picture isn’t so clear. Again look at mine in post 3 in the link above. If so you need to hit e-bay for a new gauge. They seem to run about $40.
Or unless you or somebody else knows how to replace and re-wind fresh wire.
4C3CF90E-9D97-472E-93CC-E03F3D92EFA9.png

Back