Fuel detonating in intake?

griswold00

Reaction score
My son has a 66 Polara with a 383. We don’t have a temp gauge hooked up, and my son is fixated upon the car overheating. He said the car overheated tonight, and that the fuel was detonating/burning in the intake and never making it into the cylinder. This sounds totally crazy to me, but he is 16 and he knows everything....just ask him

:rofl:

does this sound credible or crazy to all of you?

It would be normal for paint to burn off the heat riser passage after a fresh repaint of the intake manifold. Check the heat riser to be sure it is not stuck shut. Use a temperature probe or an infrared gun to check the coolant temp, even a cooking thermometer will work to check the coolant temp. A bad intake valve can also cause a fuel detonation problem in the intake. Run a compression check on the cylinders and also check the timing and report back.

Dave

Might he be referring to a "backfire" situation, or "spit-back" through the carb? From possibly a lean or non-working accel pump on acceleration? Even on a quick WOT stab at low speed? What vehicle and engine/trans combination?

Might need to inquire as to his (or that of a trusted associate) diagnosis, plus under what conditions it happens.

A cracked or poorly-seating intake valve might be an issue, which the compression check would verify. Might be an ignition timing situation, too? Might need to verify all of the tune-up settings and carb functions, via the FSM, as a part of the diagnosis operation.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Gas will ignite at 495° without a spark. That would be hot in the intake...

Back