Fuel line path

Cags70PolaraConvert

Reaction score
Can anyone post a picture or tell me the proper path for the fuel line to follow. I have a 383 with edelbrock 4 bbl carb. The fuel inlet is on the passenger side of the carb. Currently the fuel line is coming up from the fuel pump, up behind the alternator and water pump, then heads toward the driver side around the distributor. The fuel filter is sitting there. Then the line does a loop around the top and front of the intake, kinking it seems at spots and then to the carb. It just doesn't seem correct to me, or efficient. Any ideas? I've checked them manual, looked for pictures and just cant find anything. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Must be the fuel line for the original Holley. Coming up from behind the alternator is correct, where the fuel filter should be as well but then it just goes up on a slight incline towards the passenger side of the carb and does a right turn into the fuel inlet of the carb. I happen to know of a good supplier for these.
Here’s a couple pics but with the air cleaner on it’s hard to see.
6066D11C-9ED0-40C7-A24B-6798D996C626.jpeg
4F42E980-5160-4410-8A96-F501ED1AFA4A.jpeg

The OEM Holley fuel lines are routed as you described yours to be. Their OEM entry was on the driver's side of the primary float bowl. The OEM Carter AFB/AVS was on the right hand REAR of the carb. With the same location for the fuel filter generally behind the alternator area.

You can download a FSM from www.MyMopar.com which will have some good graphics of the routing for the AFB/AVS cars. My '70 Monaco 383 4bbl would be a good example to look at, so downloading the '70 FSM would probably work for you.

Nice pics, detmatt.

CBODY67

Thanks for the pics, will take a closer look in the morning. I do have the FSM, or at least I thought I did and couldn't really find anything on this. I looked at the fuel section and the engine section and didn't see anything. I will look again.

Its been a bad year for the car, haven't taken her out once. Haven't started her in a long time either. I went to start her and battery was dead and no fuel in the fuel filter. Priming the carb hasn't helped. Added a couple of gallons to the tank to make sure not on E (guage not working) and no progess. Thinking about putting in a new fuel pump since I do not know how old this one is. Put new gas tank in last year and drove with it so that shouldn't be a problem I would think. This is why I wanted to address the fuel line itself. I don't think my mechanic gets my car and that is probably why he didn't alter the path of the line.

Thanks again. I am open for any other advice, opinions or suggestions

As a temporary situation, to get it running reliably, put a new fuel filter in and then run a rubber fuel line hose to the carb. Will probably need a basic hose fitting for the carb, though. When it's all running reliably, then put in the correct metal line from the filter.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thats where I was kinda heading. Right now the metal line ends right in the pocket between the distributor and the radiator hose. So when I get the correct metal line it runs between the distributor and the head or still in the gap between the distributor and the radiator hose?

While you are in the engine bay, you might take a pic of the fender tag :D

This is the factory AFB routing shown on my 65 383 4bbl.
25701315-D61C-402E-BC69-DF797927D339.jpeg

Fuel line up from filter and pump runs along top edge of valve cover. Comes up to the left, as viewed, of dist.
E13ABB1C-083D-40ED-82AE-DD8525987DDE.jpeg

AFB inlet on passenger side.

go to vatozone and tell them you want 5/16" brake line off the back rack. they will look at you blankly. tell em just let me go to the back rack and pick it.

go back there and get the 72" brake line patch line. like this but however long https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...e-line-pax-540/216382_148248_3048_21814_90079

get a tube bender and the baby-sized pipe cutter from lowesdepot.

get a line flare tool from harborfreight.

go nuts.

try not to die -

- saylor

Already did that today. Problem is the connection at the carb didn't seem tight, the tubing was sliding in and out. Do I need another fitting at the carb to make the steel tubing seat tighter?

This is the factory AFB routing shown on my 65 383 4bbl.
View attachment 316981
Fuel line up from filter and pump runs along top edge of valve cover. Comes up to the left, as viewed, of dist.
View attachment 316982
AFB inlet on passenger side.
Any chance of you taking a close up right at the alternator\water pump area? Also is it steel line coming up from the fuel pump? I just have 3/8 rubber line running from the fuel pump. Thanks again

still no fuel making it up the line, should have replaced the fuel pump. Anything special to replacing the pump or is it unbolt, remove, replace, bolt up?

Thank you for posting the tag!

Your car is a rare EA4 silver metallic. After your restoration of the interior in blue, I look forward to seeing the car sport a silver coating in the future :)

PS: I have rotated the tag photo and posted a decode in the informal registry of the Last Convertibles.

I see traces of liver paint on the tag — no green.

What does the firewall look like? Behind the door panels? Pics?

Any chance of you taking a close up right at the alternator\water pump area? Also is it steel line coming up from the fuel pump? I just have 3/8 rubber line running from the fuel pump. Thanks again

Here you go.
4CF49D10-2CB1-4040-A702-BA9C3AD9C33F.jpeg

Fuel pump to filter hard line.

FD35FEEE-A4E1-4E38-971C-92C5983BA1D0.jpeg

Hard line from filter to carb.

Both pieces should be the same as a “B” body available from Classic Industries and others.

I will get you pics next week. Back to house, finishing the bathroom mode. Like I said, door jambs are green, trunk is green. firewall is green, but a very light green. Pictures next weekend.

Back