fuel pump pushrod access plug question

saylor

Reaction score
OK I have a new mechanical fuel pump pushrod on the way from summitracing. there is an allen head bolt / plug under the fuel pump - that is supposed to be the access hole to R&R the pushrod. I read that when you put the plug back, you should seal it. But they didn't say what to seal it with...
Loctite? RTV? Chewing gum and Bear Snot?

any ideas? anyone ever changed this pushrod before?

thanks all -
- Saylor

X2...... works great
Put a film of grease on the shaft when you install it and it will stay in place while you install the fuel pump.

I hope to god this fixes it,,,, this is the only thing (right now anyway) between me and driving this bad boy. I cant keep fuel to it when at operating temp. I didn't know there was a pushrod in there until after I ordered the fuel pump,, no one locally has the pushrod,,, so I wait.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Funship32

Try using teflon tape...same stuff the plumbers use.

X2...... works great
Put a film of grease on the shaft when you install it and it will stay in place while you install the fuel pump.

All I know is you guys are luck there isn't a guy named rusty something over here with you guys throwing out some recommendations like that LOL

But that's what I've used since I was a kid and it's never failed me so X3

[h=4]Shipment Progress[/h]
  • What's This?
LocationDateLocal TimeActivity
Mesquite, TX, United States 06/04/2013 12:40 P.M. Arrival Scan

DAAAAAAAM!!!1

im gonna call tehm and see if I cant pick it up at the hub . ..

pulled the old pushrod,, measured it up with the new one, , , they are the exact same length,, meaning mine is not wore out.

damn I don't want to have to put an electric fuel pump on my car.

WHY THE HELL CANT I GET GAS TO THE DAMN CARB WHEN THE MOTOR IS HOT??!!?

holy jeesus.

well epic fail. as soon as the engine hit 180*, the fuel went away. i changed the oil beforehand too, in case it was somehow not throwing the pushrod as good as it should. I have the gas cap loose at the tank just in case it was a breathing problem, but no change.

i have no idea what to do.

someone tell me something before i hack the fuel line and put an electric pump in. when i bought the car, it fed fuel. mechanically. im not sure why it stopped. i was going 50 down a local road, and lost gas. ever since then, no gas when at operating temp.

I dunno. I guess. im pretty freaking bummed. I changed to new fuel line from frame to pump, new mech fuel pump, new pushrod, new inline filter, new carb.

I really don't know what to do.

im looking at electric pumps, but don't know if that will fix it. my gut says no.

a guy I know said my rubber hoses are caving in, but I don't think that's it.

1968 fury - there is no pump or filter or sock or anything in tank is there ? only the fuel gauge sendo unit ? i cant tell from the parts manual explod-o-view.

Take your cap off and disconnect your line at the pump and give er a shot of air,there is a pickup filter on the end of the tube in the tank. It may be plugged ! Have you had the tank off?

No, have not had the tank off. I just don't think that's it, it only happens right when I get to engine temp. As long as its not up to temp yet, I get all kinds of fuel. if it was a clog, I think it would be a clog, hot or cold. no ?

yes a clear gas filter - is that where the heat is getting in? should I ditch it? I have a length of gas hose I could swap and try...

and - whats the pickup in the tank? I don't know what you mean.

Back