Fuel Pump Question

jollyjoker

Reaction score
Trying to resurrect 65 Dodge 383 from under the pile of boxes, so I can move it over to my nice big warm new garage for the winter. Car has sat for about 3 years. Not getting fuel up to the carb. Question is - I can siphon gas thru the fuel pump, by suctioning on the outlet. Seems odd, I'd have thought the diaphragm would have prevented this - or is this sign that diaphragm has succumbed to the ethanol brew, and time for new FP . . . ?
Thanks!

Trying to resurrect 65 Dodge 383 from under the pile of boxes, so I can move it over to my nice big warm new garage for the winter. Car has sat for about 3 years. Not getting fuel up to the carb. Question is - I can siphon gas thru the fuel pump, by suctioning on the outlet. Seems odd, I'd have thought the diaphragm would have prevented this - or is this sign that diaphragm has succumbed to the ethanol brew, and time for new FP . . . ?
Thanks!
Could be the diaphragm, could be one of the hoses between the tank and the pump, or it could be the tank has a bunch of sludge on the bottom that is blocking the pickup sock on the sending unit. Hook a longer hose the the steel line on the input side of the pump and see if air will blow thru it. If the line is blocked, you will need to pull the tank and have it cleaned. Ethanol blends destroy rubber hoses and fuel pump diaphragms quickly if the fuel degrades. You can test the pump by running a hose into a container of fuel to see if you get fuel from the output side of the pump as the engine is cranked over. Use a small capture container for this purpose so you do not spill fuel on the engine or floor.

Dave

In order to start and move it, you might head down to your local big-box sporting goods place and get an outboard motor boat gas tank, with possibly a squeeze fuel bulb on it. This way, you can temporarily attach/secure it above carb float bowl level (gravity feed), get the car running a bit, and drive it where you need it to be. Trying to use the existing fuel pump and OLD gas can be trouble that would have to be fixed later.

Plan on a new fuel pump for the engine, anyway.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

When you replace your rubber hose fitting buy hose for todays fuel injection systems. It’s better material and is not effected by ethanol. Most any auto parts should have it sold by the foot. Two feet piece was plenty for my car.

Just a follow-up report. Suspect I may have had an air-lock in the system somewhere. I accessed a good strong siphon pump (well, at least better than me sucking-up another mouthfull of gas . . .:eek:), hooked it on to the fuel line at the carb inlet, and made sure I got the fuel up into the carb. Went to spin it over a little, just to see if the fuel pump was putting anything out . . . and second turn of the ignition switch it fired right up!!! Man, was I surprised!!! Warmed up into a nice steady idle, around the block a few times, and drove it 10 miles out to the new place w/o any problem.
Well, I'm pretty happy. But yes, now that I'm somewhere spacious and comfortable to work, I AM planning to put a new tank in, and replace all of the lines. Thanks for all of the input, support, and encouragement!

Let is sit overnight and see if it again starves for fuel after start up. Sure sign of a vacuum leak on the fuel lines to the pump. Vacuum leak will cause fuel to siphon back into the tank leaving the lines high and dry.

Dave

Back