Fuel Sending Units

fatwagn72

Reaction score
My 72 Polara's fuel gauge has never worked since I've owned it, and after running out of gas and sitting on the side of the road, I figured it was time to solve the problem. I don't know if my gauge or sending unit is faulty, but I also don't know where I can get a sending unit for a fuselage style wagon. Are there any sending units from other C bodies that are compatible with the wagon style tanks or are they specific parts? Thanks.

Does your temp gauge not work as well?

You can disconnect the lead from the sending unit and hook it to ground with alligator clips. Briefly turn the key on to see if the gauge moves. If the gauge moves, the sending unit or the float is defective. If the gauge does not move, most likely your cluster regulator is bad. As noted, if the temp gauge is also inoperative, the cluster regulator is the likely cause. Modern blended fuels tend to eat up the brass floats on the sending unit and they are replaceable.

Dave

You can disconnect the lead from the sending unit and hook it to ground with alligator clips. Briefly turn the key on to see if the gauge moves. If the gauge moves, the sending unit or the float is defective.
Dave

Not necessarily....
The very first thing to do is check and see if the clip-on
ground strap is there and has a clean connection...
Then proceed to the above as per Dave..... :D

Given that this is a wagon, ground strap disconnect is very unlikely, but Xenon is correct, that should be checked also.

Dave

I concur that the FIRST thing to check is the sending unit ground/clip on the rubber hose between the sending unit and the main chassis fuel line . . . IF it's like the non-wagons. For good measure, you can use some alligator clips and a jumper wire for this test.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Vans Auto carries the Station Wagon sending units
A friend of mine picked one up at Carlisle.
Has not installed it yet to test the accuracy

I just checked their website.
The part number is CHCSND5SW and they list them for $90

Even with the ground strap on you can still get a bad connection at the sender! AMHIK

If you do buy a sending unit be sure to save and reuse your original lock ring. All the aftermarket ones are too thin and will leak.

Back