Fuel tank: vented or non-vented?

3FuryIIIski

Reaction score
I'm ordering an aftermarket replacement fuel tank for a '72 Plymouth Fury 3, 360 V8, and I have an option of an unvented, 2 vent, or 4 vent tank. I haven't dropped the old tank yet to see what I presently have, but any ideas as to what this car may have come with? Thanks.2

Unfortunately, I'm at work for the entire day, the car is inaccessible, and I was hoping to get this tank ordered. Given the make, model, and engine listed, wouldn't what type of tank it has have been standard for everything following those criteria?

Unfortunately, I'm at work for the entire day, the car is inaccessible, and I was hoping to get this tank ordered. Given the make, model, and engine listed, wouldn't what type of tank it has have been standard for everything following those criteria?
No. California had different requirements for tanks than did the "Federal" cars. For instance, my '70 tank had four vents; most had two.

In one way it doesn't matter. You can buy whichever you want. Unless you're interested in hooking everything up correctly, which is not needed, you can put a non-vented tank into a vented car.

No. California had different requirements for tanks than did the "Federal" cars. For instance, my '70 tank had four vents; most had two.

In one way it doesn't matter. You can buy whichever you want. Unless you're interested in hooking everything up correctly, which is not needed, you can put a non-vented tank into a vented car.
Yeah, I hadn't thought about that. I know my gas cap was a non-vented gas cap so I'm assuming that it had a vent in the tank. I may go with the four vent model - on the assumption that I can always close off a vent that's not needed, versus buying an unvented tank and having to then go the other way. LOL

Consider that the replacement tanks cover from about '66 to '73 models, which all had progressively more stringent evaoprative emissions regulations to deal with. I believe the 4-tube model has the additional lines to go to the vapor separator that is separate from the tank?

Look in the Factory Service Manual or appropriate parts book that can be downloaded from www.mymopar.com for more information.

CBODY67

Back