Fuselage Fury HP engines

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone happens to know or even have an idea how many 1969 Fury's had the 383 HP and 440 HP.

I know the most popular engines were the 318 and 383-2 barrel.

Curiousity...

The 335 horse 383-4 HP assembly was n/a in a C body so the answer would be zero.

The 383-4 330 horse would be the C body version.

The 335 horse 383-4 HP assembly was n/a in a C body so the answer would be zero.

The 383-4 330 horse would be the C body version.

You seem to be implying that the Super Commando 383-4 was not considered a HP engine. I disagree, although the RR 383-4 was rated at 335, IMO that doesn't mean the Super Commando 383-4 used in Fury's was not considered a HP engine also. From a technical perspective, the 330 Bhp engine had higher Bhp, higher torque, dual exhaust, and required Premium fuel compared to the 383-2 290 Bhp. From a Marketing perspective, Plymouth called there HP engines "Super Commando" and used the red lettered hood ornament on the 383-4 330 Bhp engines so they obviously considered it HP.

upload_2019-7-19_20-10-12.png

You guy are crazy with your knowledge of these cars. I am always learning something new.

Except with the police option. (335 HP)

Dave

Cool. Please provide both engine assembly numbers, with and without AC, from 68-70 broadcast sheets so they can be compared to 330 horse versions.

Last edited:
You seem to be implying that the Super Commando 383-4 was not considered a HP engine. I disagree, although the RR 383-4 was rated at 335, IMO that doesn't mean the Super Commando 383-4 used in Fury's was not considered a HP engine also. From a technical perspective, the 330 Bhp engine had higher Bhp, higher torque, dual exhaust, and required Premium fuel compared to the 383-2 290 Bhp. From a Marketing perspective, Plymouth called there HP engines "Super Commando" and used the red lettered hood ornament on the 383-4 330 Bhp engines so they obviously considered it HP.

View attachment 303074

You are most certainly welcome to disagree but you’d be arguing with Mopar over their use of "HP"...not me. Their changing use of the term HP does cause confusion if you don't look at it in context.

In 67 and earlier and in 71, the 4bbl version of the 383 is designated HP when compared to the 2bbl version. In 68-70, with the introduction of the 335 horse 383-4 in the Road Runner, the assembly with the 440 HP cam et al becomes the HP variant of the 383-4bbl when compared to the 383-4 with the standard cam.

As there is no C body 335 horse assembly, pending broadcast sheet documentation, the answer to the question is still 'zero'.

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the 330 horsepower engine in the "C" body, and the 335 horsepower engine in the "B" body were the exhaust manifolds. The "C" body ones were the more restrictive log type. that is why everyone wants the "B" body ones today.

You are most certainly welcome to disagree but you’d be arguing with Mopar over their use of "HP"...not me. Their changing use of the term HP does cause confusion if you don't look at it in context.

In 67 and earlier and in 71, the 4bbl version of the 383 is designated HP when compared to the 2bbl version. In 68-70, with the introduction of the 335 horse 383-4 in the Road Runner, the assembly with the 440 HP cam et al becomes the HP variant of the 383-4bbl when compared to the 383-4 with the standard cam.

As there is no C body 335 horse assembly, pending broadcast sheet documentation, the answer to the question is still 'zero'.

I was certain the E-63 was offered in a C-Body cruiser. Turns out that is correct, but not until '71 by which time it was rated at 300 horses. So 69CoronetRT is correct about the 335 horse version.

Dave

I was certain the E-63 was offered in a C-Body cruiser. Turns out that is correct, but not until '71 by which time it was rated at 300 horses. So 69CoronetRT is correct about the 335 horse version.

Dave

Thanks.... I was hoping for a strong argument on your part. I've seen Doug hash this out before. A new view on your end would have been interesting .

Dave
What if I told you I'm looking at buying a 69 Fury with an E63 383.....with dual snorkel, dual exhaust and HP manifolds..

Ask and you shall receive....car is well optioned....PS PDB, PW, Cruise, buckets, console, etc.

Nick

The H code is the correct code for a '69 383 HP engine. I am not sure however if the Windsor plant produced 330 or 335 horse engines under the H code, as they tended to do some things differently than here in the US.

Dave

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the 330 horsepower engine in the "C" body, and the 335 horsepower engine in the "B" body were the exhaust manifolds. The "C" body ones were the more restrictive log type. that is why everyone wants the "B" body ones today.

The difference between the 335 horse HP assembly in the 68/69 B bodies and the 70 B/E bodies is the use of the higher lift cam originally used in the '67 440 375 horse assembly. There are 2 and 4bbl exhaust manifolds designed to fit the various body styles but there are no manifolds specific to a 68-70 HP assembly.

There was no C body 383-4bbl assembly with the higher lift cam like there was for the B and E bodies. All 383-4 C body assemblies came with the standard cam.

The H code is the correct code for a '69 383 HP engine. I am not sure however if the Windsor plant produced 330 or 335 horse engines under the H code, as they tended to do some things differently than here in the US.

Dave

Did the Windsor plant also assemble their own engines or were they brought in to the plant like they were at other plants? Otherwise the final assembly plant is irrelevant.

The H in the VIN only tells you the CID (383) and carb (4bbl) configuration. It does not tell you the horsepower rating or the application.

A, B and C bodies all received 383-4bbl assemblies with various horsepower ratings. All code H in the VIN to indicate 383-4. (Below is from 1968 but the concept applies to 69 and 70 also)

68_383-4_ALL_68_Dodge.jpg

Last edited:
Back