Fuselage tags

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
WP_20151208_16_22_22_Pro.jpgWP_20151214_13_26_39_Pro.jpgJust thought I would submit these. Top, my "parts car" 71 Newport custom 4 dr. hardtop, dark green painted roof, green body, int. 383, 727, 8 3/4, 3.23 s.g. ATC II rear defogger. Bottom, blue, white orig. 70 Newport convertible, now 440, 727, 8 3/4, 3.23 s.g. black buckets with buddy seat, power windows, dual speaker dash. Green GOD tag, junkyard car, 70 Polara coupe, 318. I find it odd that the polaras tag is fuller than the newports given that it appeared to be a fairly spartan car and the newport has some options? Also worth noting is that both Chrysler tags are secured with screws and both have another small tag with a semi-circle edge punch. 70 is on pas. side and blank. 71 is on drivers side and reads AE. Any idea if the dark green roof/light green body is correct, it has the trim a vinyl roof would and I can confirm it has LEADED roof seams. Thanks in advance for any input.

WP_20151208_16_22_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20151214_13_26_39_Pro.jpg

The Jefferson plant "C" has different things showing on tags compared to the Belvidere plant "D"
You have to compare the tags from one plant within the same modelyear to get a better comparison (idear).

The Jefferson tags remind me more of the Lynch Road "A" tags while the Belvidere tags are more organized like it the St-Louis "G" or Hamtramck "B" plant in example

Carsten

...71 Newport custom 4 dr. hardtop, dark green painted roof, green body, int. 383, 727, 8 3/4, 3.23 s.g. ATC II rear defogger.

Bottom, blue, white orig. 70 Newport convertible, now 440, 727, 8 3/4, 3.23 s.g. black buckets with buddy seat, power windows, dual speaker dash.

Green GOD tag, 70 Polara coupe, 318. I find it odd that the polaras tag is fuller than the newports given that it appeared to be a fairly spartan car and the newport has some options? Also worth noting is that both Chrysler tags are secured with screws and both have another small tag with a semi-circle edge punch. 70 is on pas. side and blank. 71 is on drivers side and reads AE. Any idea if the dark green roof/light green body is correct, it has the trim a vinyl roof would and I can confirm it has LEADED roof seams. Thanks in advance for any input.

First, thanks for posting the pictures. Every tag helps us learn what was done, how it was done and when it was done. Each tag is one piece of a very large puzzle. Put them together and the picture emerges.

The '71 Newport is a great find. The numbers of two tone cars produced decreased as the 60's went on. By 1970 probably less than 2% were two tone cars. By '71, the percentage is even less. For comparison, 0.5% (~22 cars) of the 71 Super Bees had painted tops and 0.2% (~5) of the Chargers had painted tops. A 71 painted top C body would be very hard to find. Thanks again for posting that one.

My WAG...less than ten 71 C body two tone cars imported to Canada, if that.

The C VONs on the 70's, and the B on the 71, tell us the cars were built for sale in Canada. Plus you see a Y07 code and Y16 (sales bank) on the 70 Polara.

What was coded when it was coded and even where on the tag it was coded changed year to year, plant to plant and even in the model year. Some plants coded more; some coded less. Some plants coded some things that others did not. Each year and plant is different. Sometimes things carry over from year to year and sometimes they don't.

Carsten's example of the Jefferson plant being similar to the Lynch Road plant is a good analogy. Tags from these plants are more unlike the other plants than they are similar to them. (LA, St. Louis, Hamtramck, Belvedere and Newark are all similar but all had their differences)

The Jefferson plant "C" has different things showing on tags compared to the Belvidere plant "D"
You have to compare the tags from one plant within the same modelyear to get a better comparison (idear).

The Jefferson tags remind me more of the Lynch Road "A" tags while the Belvidere tags are more organized like it the St-Louis "G" or Hamtramck "B" plant in example

Carsten

Thats the first thing I noticed

What was coded when it was coded and even where on the tag it was coded changed year to year, plant to plant and even in the model year. Some plants coded more; some coded less. Some plants coded some things that others did not. Each year and plant is different. Sometimes things carry over from year to year and sometimes they don't.

What would possess them to not have a standard for all plants as to what goes on the tags and where??

What would possess them to not have a standard for all plants as to what goes on the tags and where??

That is the $100,000 question for all tag whores...why are they different from 69 on?

1968 and earlier are, mostly, consistent between the plants. In 1977, even Lynch Road tags follow the format used by other plants since '69. Jefferson continued to use their own format through at least '78.

Back