Fusible Link

When I say you can put in any fuse size is because many fusible links have different amp rating. So one size does not fit all, I would have thought that I would not have to explain that.
You do make a good point on the slow blow aspect of the fusible link, I know the old glass type fuse has slow blow fuses, but the newer type I am not sure, I will have to look more into that, thanks for bringing it the my attention.
Now I am sure most of you are aware of how old our wiring harness has become and that is not a good thing, wires become brittle and sometimes can short out.
At one time new aftermarket wiring harnesses were available for certain models and if you have the original it is just a matter of time before your left on the side of the road, or a underdash fire as my brother can attest to with his 67 dart GT, and that was a few years back.
I myself have upgraded the wiring on a number of Mopars when I used to be into it.
Simple things like upgrading an alternator setup to a more modern (old) 2 field wire setup which can put out more current or some who really up the amps of the alternator for some hi end audio systems.
When more current is output, not upgrading the wiring is a disaster waiting to happen!!!
I have seen a few fires or meltdowns because of old wiring over the years.
When some upgrading has been done with a higher output alternator and newer wiring to accommodate the extra current stepping up to a higher rated fuse can be done.
I thank you for questioning me about this. I certainly would not someone to uprate the fuse if the rest of the circuit was not upgraded. My bad for not explaining it better.
I have used the inline fuse in place of the blowen fusible link in my 90 Dodge camper van a few years ago with no problems. But I will look into the slow blow fuse.

The cause of some fusible link problems (not all) is our very old + brittle wiring harness that can be 50 YEARS OLD. Not updating parts of our wiring harness is by far more of a disaster waiting to happen,+ sailor I do not understand what you meant when you said " you don't want to die" having an inline fuse is a safety item that will cut power if there is a problem.
You will not be stuck on the road, just replace the fuse until you get home and figure out what caused the circuit to fail. I am sure some like myself have bypassed to fusible link to get home, then figure out what caused the problem.

I certainly would be be more worried about old brittle wiring harness, than an inline fuse!!

I agree to disagree lol

Back