FYI on changing 1034 tail light stop/directional bulb

JC68vert300

Reaction score
Just some FYI. One of my tail light bulbs on the passenger side of the 300 burnt out. Went to Autozone and bought a package of bulbs made by Sylvania. Long life bulb, the package says #7528 fits, compatible with #1034. Shaped the same, but when I put it in, it is very dull, doesn't seem to even reflect off the back of the light. So checked the package, it is only 5 watt marker/21watt stop, directional. I believe the correct wattage for #1034 should be 8.5 watt marker/23 watt stop, directional. Need to search for the correct bulb.

I got my 1034 bulbs from a place that is called Bulb Town, http://www.bulbtown.com

I got at least enough bulbs for two complete cars, plus a bunch of other bulbs for just over $20. And they sell any number you're looking for, at least they had everything I was after.

With regards to smaller light bulbs in automobiles, the key criteria is "candlepower" rating, not specifically watts, volts, or amps. www.automotivemileposts.com/taillightbulbcomparison.html indicates the 1034 and 1157 bulbs to be of the same candlepower rating, just that the rated life on the "high" segment of the 1157 bulb is significantly longer. Both are 32/3 candlepower, high/low, respectively.

For best "like new" results, it might be necessary to carefully disassemble the tail light assemblies, carefully removing the lens from the base housing. Also being careful to not destroy/lose the fibre "vent" between the lens and the housing. Also try to not damage the gasket.

Then clean the reflector and inside of the lens of any accumulated dust/dirt. Might even consider reconditioning the reflector surface with a bright silver paint or similar (I believe that Eastwood has such a product, but something else might work just as well).

If the gasket is dried, might spread a thin layer of hi-heat silicone over the rubber, just a thin coat to fill any cracks/gaps, then let it cure fully at room temp (probably about 24 hours?). Then put the fibre filter back into place and reassemble. I suspect that will make the difference you expected from just the bulb replacement.

The fibre filter reminds me of the filter section of a filter cigarette.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back