Garage find 68 imperial

kyle340

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a call today from a guy doing some property clean up, he said there are a ton of parts and a car in the garage and wanted to know if was interested in any of it. He said he thinks everything is Chrysler related in the building, with that said the stuff is a couple of hours from me, so I won't get to lay eyes on it until this weekend hopefully. Here are the only pics I have of the car, 68 imperial, I buy and sell stuff quite often, but am not up on my imperial's as much as I should be, I know it has value as parts, but I'm looking for your opinion on what it's worth as it's sits, I know more pics are needed for a true number, but looking for a round about number so I can make them a fair offer and everyone is happy. I will be selling the car, or parting it if that's a dirt floor it's sitting on and the bottom is toast . Thanks guys for any help .
135958.jpeg
135954.jpeg

Looks Like a complete car, just sell it whole. It would be a lot less work.

A ‘68 so the dual snorkel could be original but someone’s added a ‘67 hood ornament. I’d be happy to try and help but really without knowing more than what I can see, it’s impossible to even ballpark a price. Send me a pm if you want my phone number and we can talk while your there in real time.

Sigh...I get too emotional over these things to render a sane value.
Sight unseen and a couple pics to go from only makes it tougher.

From what I see, I like it. It does not appear to be rotten. Only thing "off" that I can make out is that it appears to have a 67 hood ornament on it.

Odd to see an Imperial with no cruise/ auto-pilot. If it's stock it's a 440 dual & quite rare among the 68s.

2drs have good restoration potential, if they are solid. Try to find out how long the car has been sitting and if possible see if the engine is still free, makes a big difference on the value of the car. I can't see much rust on the photo supplied. Check which options the car has as that also affects the value and does the condition of the interior. A typical '68 Imperial that does not run and has sat a long time takes a lot of work to bring back, for a ball park value, probably someplace in the $2k- $2.5k range if the car is solid, a lot less if it is rusty or if the interior is trashed or if the engine is stuck.

Dave

Update... I put eyes on the car today, car is pretty good, no rust holes in the quarter's on anything, rear bumper has some heavy surface on the drivers side. I didn't get to look under it, four flat tires and 40 years of hoarding around the car, so the underside is unknown. It is a k-code car. I do have the official story on the car now, property owner is late 80's, and was a hoarder, property got condemned, 4-cars were hauled off buy the city, (I'm waiting to hear what they are) a real estate guy came in and bought the property to fix up. I was called to look at the car and parts, bought a ton of new boxes of Mopar sales brochures from 74-79 and about 8-9 sets of imperial and 300 hubcaps. Some one looked at the car and told the new property owner it was worth $15k as it sits, I had to break the bad news to him, but he's going to see if he can get a title for it before he lets me make a offer.

That's exactly what I told my wife after we left, I said these people come in and tell people stuff is worth X amount but have no interest in buying anything.

15K as it sits? Delusional. There are so may unknowns (condition of floorboards, does the motor still turn over? etc.). I hope the car can be purchased for a reasonable price.

By the way all 68 Imperials are K code 440s...even the 440 dual option.

Yes he was told $15k as it sits, I told what I thought it might sell for, ($2-2500) without seeing much, he asked if he took it somewhere to get it running down the road, I said you would spend $5k if you took it to a shop to get it going down the road, he was shocked. He is not a car guy, maybe late 20's early 30's, I get he's trying to get every dollar he can , but I was honest with him when I priced the parts and manuals from him, so hopefully we can get together on it.

Have a look at the one @SGT FURY pulled out in California. Paid $2,500 for a similar non-runner with zero rust. It hurts but people think that they'll get Charger money for an Imperial. When one of the very best is still offered for $25k and doesn't shift you know that you'll never get $15k for this. Pity as I love these.

I got the 68 running now. One of the biggest problems with a 67/68 that’s been sitting for years is getting the brakes working.
Is it a factory dual car?
The one I got the family just didn’t know what to do with it not running.
So they called the scrapyard!

I got the 68 running now. One of the biggest problems with a 67/68 that’s been sitting for years is getting the brakes working.
Is it a factory dual car?
The one I got the family just didn’t know what to do with it not running.
So they called the scrapyard!
I'm not an expert but it looks like a dual. Old cars get scrapped sometimes because the mechanic doesn't understand the particular make and gives the owner a sky high quote.

I'm not an expert but it looks like a dual. Old cars get scrapped sometimes because the mechanic doesn't understand the particular make and gives the owner a sky high quote.
The old-school mechanics are dying breed, HARD to find. it’s all laptops and latte drinkers now.

The dual exhaust and dual snorkel was an optional package deal available on the Imps but still factree rated for 350 hp
Not a whole lot of Imps were ordered with the pkg.

The 440 Dual was 360 hp. The Carter carb, dual snorkels and exhaust was worth 10 hp apparently.

Back