Gas puddle from tank vent line

Knebel

Reaction score
I have had this happening pretty much since I got the car and just noticed it again. When the weather is warmer and I park the car, I get a puddle of gas under it which is coming from the gast tank vent. This almost only happens when the tank is full. I am wondering if thats normal or if there is a way to fix it, its rather obvious in my parking spot and I dont want tp get yelled at by the manager (again). 68 fury III

Edit: it seems to be rather large and sometimes i can even hear it "gargle". The area of impact on the ground is maybe 2 or 3 inches and the splash aroud it visible on the asphalt...maybe a foot.

Do you have a venting gas cap?

You obviously don't remember the days of watching people fill up then pulling away hard form a stop and seeing gas spew form the rear of the car.

The puddle though, I've seen it once or twice with the Monaco, the gas evaporates in to the vent then cools and drips on the floor. it's what it's supposed to do I reckon.

I haven't had a car, that's drivable anyways, that has the filler behind the plate so I'm not sure. I guess I'd rather leave a bit on the street than have it puddle under my car though.

It's normal. I consider it as marking its territory.

The gas in the ground is cold, you fill the tank and it warms up and expands. It pees a little out the vent and it gets a little siphon going and takes more out.

There's not much you can do except to not fill the tank before it's going to sit anywhere. Another thing that might help is not running the tank so empty that when you fill it, all the gas in the tank will be cold and going to expand.

The exact same thing happens to me, usually only after filling it up when it was almost bone dry. 68 fury here too.

I have not had to deal with this issue (yet) thank goodness, but I think somethings up with it. like there is a crack in a vent line. or there is blockage. or vented gas cap quit venting. is there a check valve somewhere in a vent tube? fuel line is collapsing or has a pinhole. or something. . something is up with it.

Sounds normal, listen to Big John. Adjust your refueling habits if it bothers you. BTW, running gas stations back in the 80's, I would train high school kids about when a fuel spill is serious by starting a pump and getting a penny's worth in the hose, then dumping that on the concrete drive... Gasoline has a very thin viscosity and spreads out very well... I might have gotten a puddle almost the size of your car. That is when I told them to call the fire department if they spilled 5 gallons (the standard at that time)... but the gas islands better be covered with fuel. Anything less they just cleaned up with oil dry. A 12" spot is a very minor amount of fuel, but hard on the asphalt.

You obviously don't remember the days of watching people fill up then pulling away hard form a stop and seeing gas spew form the rear of the car.

My '59 Imperial and '62 300 both have this and I know then when it is full. And the engine direct vent crankcase on the '59 vents to the underside of the car.

fuel cap should be marked "vented".

If you have vent lines on the tank, the cap should be non-vented.

The only time I see fuel on the ground with any of the Newps is when something is leaking.

Check all of the lines, hoses, and connections.

Hope the input helps.

John

That car has the weird venting system, I believe, if it's like my 67 Newport.
Most likely it's no longer hooked up properly.
Look in the FSM for the correct plumbing setup.

Its hooked up right. I have a non vented cap and vent lines. Well...and the filling it up thin, i am in oregon and we dont pump our own gas here, so i dont have an influence on "how full they fill it"

That would drive me nuts not pumping my own gas.

Back