Gas tank removal

chry73luv

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on taking out a gastank on a 1973 dodge Polara? Car stopped running suddenly- not getting gas.. I changed the fuel pump and filter and checked the lines-all clear up to the tank. I suspect the filter in tank is plugged-old varnishy gas. What is the correct process to remove or would you try something else first. If I put gas in carb it takes right off and runs. Any help would be appreciated.

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, try to blow backwards down the line with 10-15 psi. If you can get some Chemtool b-12 or seafoam in the line it might help with the varnish. This would be a maybe get it running thing. Probably need to drop the tank to fix it right. Good luck.

I had to drop my tank a few years ago. Drain as much fuel out as possible. Disconnect the fuel line from the sending unit. Disconnect the four little hoses at the front of the tank. Disconnect the ground wire and the wire for the guage. Remove the bolt/screw that hold the filler neck in place. Loosen and remove the two bolts holding the tank straps, near the rear of the tank. Tank should drop now. It's kind of awkward,but not really too heavy. While you have the tank out it's a good idea to replace the filler neck seal and the sending unit seal.:) I hope this helps.

Last edited:
if you think its too heavy you can use a larger floor jack to help with the weight

Back