Gas tank restoration???

budgetmoparman

Reaction score
has anyone used the POR 15 tank sealer kit or the KBS coatings kit? Wondering if one is better than the other or if they don’t work at all?

has anyone used the POR 15 tank sealer kit or the KBS coatings kit? Wondering if one is better than the other or if they don’t work at all?

I have not tried this particular product. As a general rule if a tank is rusted, it either needs to be cleaned and re-plated by a competent restoration company or replaced with an after market or NOS unit. The product that I tried years ago that was advertised in Hemmings all peeled off after a short time and left me with a bigger mess than I started with.

Dave

If you have a radiator repair shop in your area check with them to see if they also repair fuel tanks.

If you have a radiator repair shop in your area check with them to see if they also repair fuel tanks.

WITH a related warranty/guarantee!

Inner surface cleanliness and integrity is IMPORTANT for any topical coating of a fuel tank. PLUS ensuring that the coating is not affected by E85 or less ethanol fuel blends.

From the prices I've seen on the "ReNew" operation, a fresh new tank on our cars is cheaper.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If you can I would replace tank like Big John recommends. In my case there was rust throughout system and worked it's way to the carb. Everything replaced including lines and carb.
little red tank.jpg
20181017_145745 (1).jpg
20181017_145752 (1).jpg

I guess for a couple hundred bucks it would be easier to replace the tank. I will have a few hours into cleaning and recoating it and probably still have junk when I am done. Thanks guys.

This is second new tank photo going in from 2018 shop photos on the 4 door. Shop says it's installed. I don't believe any problems during install. The new tank put in the 72 coupe leaked at the sending unit so they fixed that after a small hurdle. Works great now...no leaks.
48380711_10213359841097292_2145670059404558336_n.jpg

Usually want to keep the old metal lock ring, the new ones that come with the new tank are a POS.

Dave

I've done the tank sealers on a motorcycle tank and It was a major pain in the ***. I couldn't imagine doing it to a full size tank. Do yourself a favor and buy a new tank. Because in the end you will have a sealed tank that is 40 years old. Just buy a new one

Buy a new tank instead of screwing around with sealers.
Big John mention of getting a new tank is the way to go, is good advice.
I'll be dropping the tank from my NYer sometime this month, and replacing it with a new one.

The prices on new tanks will vary by year, but if you have any AutoZone stores in your area, you should check their website.
If they have the tank you need, you should call them to place your order. My local AutoZone prices seem better for the tank I need, that what they are selling for on eBay. Might save you a few bucks.
I just ordered a Spectra 4 vent tank, for $279, through AutoZone, and it will be delivered to their store w/o any shipping fees.

New tank went in Sunday. Didn't take long at all. Fuel gauge isn't working now, but I'm not too worried about it at the moment. Getting ready to pull the worn out 383.

IMG_20190108_170429183.jpg

For those of us replacing the sending units at the same time, check the travel of the swing arm to avoid having to drop the tank a second time
I had to eyeball my setup since the PO had replaced it but never calibrated it
I had to really shorten the arm to make it work properly

The repair kits are good for in your in a pinch. Middle of a road trip. Or if in your situation it isn’t feasible/possible to drop the tank. The JBWeld or Permatex ones I can attest will hold up. For how long? I couldn’t say. Could be a couple months, maybe years.

But if you already have the tank out of the car and cleaning it, just replace it

Back