Gas tank vent Question

furyfever

Reaction score
I have a 68 Fury III…every time I shut the car down, gas leaks out the tank vent onto the floor/driveway/ground. Sometimes I can hear it happening…sounds like bubbling/gurgling. Anyone ever have this happen with their C-body…or anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I’ve looked for a vented cap for it but none of the mainstream auto stores can find anything that’ll fit it on their computers. Thanks…

You should have two vents and a sealed cap. one vent come out of the tank and goes up clipping close to the rear shock mount. The other one goes up through the trunk and then vents into the left rear frame rail. I would say that one of your vents is plugged, not allowing the tank to breathe or pressure to equalize.

Thank you for explaining this to me. I guess I better get under there and investigate. Probably pull the rubber lines off and blow compressed air in vent tubes both ways…with gas cap off.
If I remember correctly, one of the vent lines goes into trunk and then back out. That must be the one that ends at the frame rail…which must be the one that’s delivering gas onto ground/floor every time I shut motor down.

Thank you for explaining this to me. I guess I better get under there and investigate. Probably pull the rubber lines off and blow compressed air in vent tubes both ways…with gas cap off.
If I remember correctly, one of the vent lines goes into trunk and then back out. That must be the one that ends at the frame rail…which must be the one that’s delivering gas onto ground/floor every time I shut motor down.

Nope…the one vent line that goes into the trunk goes back out but I can’t find it from underneath. Where does it go?
The vent line that ends at the frame rail is short…it goes upward and loops downward and is open to air. That must be the one that’s weeping gas. Does anyone know where the vent line in the trunk goes?

From the FSM. Goes up into the trunk across the hump under your spare tire, over to the left rear fender well, up the fender well about 3” then loops down back through the trunk floor and into your frame rail. You cannot see the end of this one unless you pull the line out of the trunk. If you take the small rubber hose off at the fuel tank you may be able to blow it out with an air hose if it is blocked. You didn’t say how new or old your fuel tank is. Also could be varnished over from fuel sitting for every. Get your fuel level down low and lightly blow into the tank to make sure both are open.
C281F912-B228-49D9-A83F-23CFE1148D1A.jpeg
C396D7F7-CDC9-4D66-85BD-1B4D3F66786F.jpeg

Also make sure the vents are hooked up to the proper vent tube. If I recall one is at the rear of the the tank and the other at the top front of the tank which could be submersed when you hit your brakes. I had pictures of the inside of the tank somewhere. But if you use the service manual picture as a reference you should be ok.

The trunk one comes out in the frame just above the axle bumper.
DB26AA84-C3EA-40AB-85F7-D46C813762D8.jpeg

I need to check/clean out this vent tube, as mine still leaks gas out the short vent occasionally after fill-ups... thanks for the pics!
I can't help but wonder what is the idea/advantage behind designing the vents this way, inside the frame rail? -other than just keeping dust/dirt out I suppose..

Thanks for the service procedure, photos and advice everyone. I appreciate it. I removed the long vent tube in the trunk last night. Blew on one end…it’s wide open. Thought perhaps it could be bottoming out on frame rail (and blocking open end) but it isn’t. I inserted a long thin stiff wire to measure distance from trunk sheet metal to bottom of frame rail…it’s way longer than the vent tube end that goes downward. Now I’ve got to get under car again and make sure the short tube/nipple is open on gas tank side. The other (short) vent tube has to be open because that’s the one puking gasoline every time I shut engine down. They’re hooked up correctly according to photo on service procedure…thank you, very helpful. Strange happenings here. The car has been doing this ever since I bought it 5+ years ago.

Did you ever get this figured out? My 67 is doing the same thing today after adding about 7 gallons to an almost empty tank. It was fine yesterday after a longer drive with more fuel - odd.

Back