Gaskets or No Gaskets ?

I got talked into these Hooker Header exhaust gaskets. Was told they’ll work on exhaust manifolds nicely. When I ordered, the guy told me there’s only one in a package so I ordered 2. Well, he was wrong…there’s a set of 2 in each package and the new guy at the counter today claims you’re supposed to put 2 on each side. No directions in package. What do you guys think? Thanks…

2BA73BA1-DF46-4FEA-85D9-93A58FD4B6E9.jpeg

Installed one header gasket on driver side…still leaking at stud nearest firewall (especially). Someone commented that’s where they’re most likely to leak and where that ticking sound comes from. I hear ya and totally agree! Looks like I’m going the high temp RTV way too as several of you guys have mentioned. Getting these to stop leaking is taking as long as the whole top end job. Ridiculous! I refuse to live with that ticking noise.

Well…should have listened to 5wndwcpe…after trying standard exhaust gaskets and header gaskets…decided to get high temp permatex gold. Third time was the charm. Sounds great now. I just hope it lasts. All depends what the situation is I guess. The shop that did my heads did not face the exhaust port surfaces. I was surprised…and my exhaust manifolds had pitting so I had no choice. In my case, gaskets obviously didn’t work but Permatex gold did. I just hope it lasts.

Back