Gear Ratios

Clay Harrison

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So these were available;
3.55:1; 3.23:1; 2.94:1; and 2.93:1
Can someone explain the difference from one end to the other for us gear illiterate folks?
Do these 4 choices really make that much of a difference?

Last edited:
3.23 to 1= Drive shaft turns 3.23 times to make the wheel ,tire rotate once. Makes a big difference the ratios do. How would you like to ride a bicycle stuck in it's highest gear,,or it's lowest gear only?

Example: 2.93:1

The driveshaft rotates 2.93 times for each 1 time the rear tire rotates.

Let's simplify and say 2:1. Imagine a teeter totter that has one side 2 times longer than the other. Put a 100 lb kid on the long side and he can lift a 200 lb kid on the short side. The 100 lb kid has to move twice as far as the 200 lb kid moves.

Same thing with the gear ratio... Increasing the ratio allows the engine to push the car easier, but it spins more. It also gets less MPG and wears out faster.

Decreasing the ratio makes it less easy to move the car, but the engine doesn't spin as much. Better MPG and less engine wear.

So.... Real world... Performance street car... 3.23 or 3.55:1 (of the ratios you quoted) Highway car 2:93 or less.

The difference in 2.93 and 2.94 (as quoted) would be impossible to notice a difference. The difference between 3.55 and 2:93:1 is very noticeable with faster acceleration and less gas mileage.

3.55 was the optional gear ratio for 4 Speed and some automatic equipped cars. Usually found with big block engine with a performance nameplate. 440HP, 426 wedge HP, 426 Hemi and some 383HP. This ratio also used on some 340 equipped cars
3.23 was the standard gear ratio for all of the above and was a widely used gear ratio on most standard performance cars up to the early '70's. Also used on many of the large C-Body cars as standard gearing.
2.93 was a standard ratio on many cars thru the mid to late 1970's where more economy was desired while still maintaining some performance potential. I don't think there was a 2.94 ratio in stock factory mopar gears.
A 2.76 ratio was also offered on cars with an economy rating and became more common as fuel economy standards were implemented on larger cars.

As far as the difference, the lower the gear ratio, eg. 3.55 the more turns the drive shaft has to turn to travel a fixed distance. More turns means more torque transmitted to the wheels but lower fuel economy because more turns translates into higher engine RPMs at various speeds.

Dave

Last edited:
So these were available;
Can someone explain the difference from one end to the other us gear illiterate folks?

Good question but why do you ask?? You must be pondering something.....

Did any fuselages come with the 3:55? As they were all autos, whereas the odd slab had a four speed. I consider the 2:76 the ultimate highway gear, doesn't get off the line too fast unless coupled to a strong engine, however gets better mileage at highway speeds and if you're into it, will achieve higher top speeds.

In the bulk of the C-body cars, with 383s and 440s, 2.76 was usually the standard gear for 383-2bbl cars and New Yorker 440/350 engines. 3.23 was usually the standard gear for 383-4bbl and Chrysler 300s (383 in the middle-'60s cars, 440 later on). The 300, being "the performance Chrysler", needed to have that "more performance" gear. My '70 Monaco 383 4bbl has a 3.23 in it, std/stock. With the standard H78-15 tire size, that makes it run a bit over 25mph/1000 engine rpm. Puts it right at the torque peak at 75mph. Our '66 Newport 383 2bbl, with the std 2.76 gear and H78-14 tires, was more like 28.6mph/1000 engine rpm, which made easy cruising in the 75-90mph range (where it felt good and seemed to enjoy things).

Of course, the 3.23 was optional where the 2.76 was standard and vice versa. My suspicion is that few Chryslers had the optional gear ratios in them whether it was the 2.76 or 3.23 that was standard equipment. SureGrip was the main rear axle option, back then, not specifically the ratio unless the owner was going to pull a travel trailer or similar.

In the B-body cars, similar orientations with 2bbl and 4bbl engines, but some of them had the 2.94 ratio instead of the 2.76. ONE thing to remember is that the smaller tire diameters on the B and A-body cars effectively lowered the total axle ratio (fewer mph/1000 engine rpm) a bit. The opposite is true for larger diameter tires, which is one reason the Imperials had their 2.94 ratios and not the 2.76 ratio as other Chrysler C-body cars did.

I suspect that most of the 3.55 gears went into B-body 4-speed cars. Just a hunch.

As for 4-speed C-body cars, from what I've seen in here, probably more now than were ever produced by Chrysler in Chryslers. Manual transmissions were more of a B/E/A-body thing as I suspect the majority of Chrysler owners wanted the TorqueFlite option. Especially when it was "No Charge" in some of the Spring Special sales promotions.

Remember, too, that it was not until the 1965 model year that Chrysler had a decent 4-speed manual transmission. The only 4-speed prior to that was in the 300 Letter Cars in a very few model years in the earlier 1960s. It had been proved that a TorqueFlite could beat a manual trans car at the drag strip (similar car, similar engine, similar axle ratio), many times over, so no real need for a manual trans when you had such a great automatic transmission. The 3-speed manual trans which was standard in the '71 Super Bee 383 had ratios which were very similar to those in the TF, but smaller engines had lower-ratio gear sets in them.

Corvettes, on the other hand, with their 2-speed PowerGlide automatic, needed a 4-speed for their best performance. The BW 3-speed was converted to a 4-speed, for them. They were finessed to the point that they shifted very easily and quickly. The later Chrysler 4-speed was not quite as smooth or quick, but stronger. The Chrysler 4-speeds usually had longer shift levers, too. By the time the Pistol Grip shifter happened, everybody was focused more on strength and image than not.

The pre-1965 Fords had a "normal" 3-speed automatic transmission. Not performance oriented, so most of the performance Fords had BW 4-speeds in them. Whether a big Galaxie, Mercury, or the smaller Fairlanes and Falcons. But that changed with the new C-6 and "SelectShift". Which Chrysler bested with "SlapStick" TF shifters in the B-cars and RWSX cars later.

Of course, by late 1964 GM had their THM400 and in '66, Ford got their C-6. So everybody was finally on the same page as Chrysler on their 3-speed automatics.

Just a little historical perspective and observations,
CBODY67

Did any fuselages come with the 3:55? As they were all autos, whereas the odd slab had a four speed. I consider the 2:76 the ultimate highway gear, doesn't get off the line too fast unless coupled to a strong engine, however gets better mileage at highway speeds and if you're into it, will achieve higher top speeds.

If memory serves me correctly, the 3.55 could still be had as late as '70 with the trailer tow option and the 727 automatic.

Dave

See attached from the 1970 Dodge Full-Size order information I just found at Hamtramck Historical.

DODGE__1970_AXLE RATIO_ENGINE_P63%201970%20D%20Code%20List.jpg

Good question but why do you ask?? You must be pondering something.....
haha just tryin to figure it all out since I'm evidently gonna turn a lot of wrenches until this car is done...Looks like I'm gonna have to get under this car pretty soon!

So these were available;
Can someone explain the difference from one end to the other us gear illiterate folks?
3.55:1 will be faster to move from a stoplight, and will pass cars at slower speed on highway. 2.93:1 will be slower to move from stoplight, but will pass cars on highway with more ease. Anything inbetween is a mixture of the two.

And a 66 Sport Fury would have what size rear? I keep seeing references to 8 1/4, 9, etc...

And a 66 Sport Fury would have what size rear? I keep seeing references to 8 1/4, 9, etc...

Unless it is a Hemi or 440 4 speed car, it will have an 8.75" rear end. The heavier Dana rear end was a possible option on C-Bodies in '66 but is very rare. You can check quickly, if the rear end is a 3rd member type, it is an 8.75", most likely in a 3.23 gear ratio. They had a stamped sheet metal tag on one of the 3rd member mounting bolts from the factory that identified which gear ratio was installed.

Dave

Unless it is a Hemi or 440 4 speed car, it will have an 8.75" rear end. The heavier Dana rear end was a possible option on C-Bodies in '66 but is very rare. You can check quickly, if the rear end is a 3rd member type, it is an 8.75", most likely in a 3.23 gear ratio. They had a stamped sheet metal tag on one of the 3rd member mounting bolts from the factory that identified which gear ratio was installed.

Dave
Thank You!

The DANA 60 rear axle was first under the Street Hemi B-bodies and such. E-bodies, too, with the HEMI or 440-6 cars. Seems like the first year of B-body HEMI automatics had the 8.75" axle under them, with the 4-speeds having the Dana60 axle? I don't recall the Dana60 ever being under a C-body car. Now, from about '74 onward, after the 8.75" axle was replaced by the 9.25" axle, it CAN look like the earlier Dana60 axle, BUT it's not the same thing. I bought a 9.25" axle out of a middle '70s B-body car from a friend who mistakenly thought it was a Dana60 by looking at it. I showed him the differences, then the price went down. 3.21 ratio. It allegedly was out of a '75 Small Fury police car.

As the back-up plan if the ratio tag is gone (for whatever reason), look on the outside edge of the ring gear. The tooth combination (ring gear and pinion, as 41-10 for a 4.10 ratio) should be stamped on the outside circumference of the ring gear. 8.75" ratios were 2.76 and 3.23, 9.25" ratios were 3.21 and 2.71.

As the Dana/Spicer axles had a removeable rear cover, some referred to them in "Chevy" termis, 10-bolt for the 8.25" and 12-bolt for the 9.25". 8.75s didn't have the rear covers as the differential assy were removed as "a chunk" from the front-side of the housing instead.

CBODY67

8 3/4 rear, pretty much in everything until 1969 (8.25 introduced)
Small A bodies have 7.25, not applicable for any C body.

Gear ratios are a personal deal really. If the car is a street car (rather than a race car) I gear for the cruise rpm at a given mph. Highway speeds might want a different gear than local roads depending on the engine and my tastes. Good thing is, the 8 3/4 can have gears as low as 4.88 using the same carrier so it's just a matter of what you want them to do for you.

Back