Gear selector help?

Joseph James

Reaction score
Car has never been in P at Park. Always closer to R. In drive it is over 2. I am reinstalling instrument cluster and would like to fix this once and for all.

The slotted rod is as far over as it will go. The steering column shows signs of having been pulled out at some point.

Not sure what else to add. Any tips would be appreciated.

The main "detent" maker is inside the transmission. I believe that the lower linkage has a rod that has some adjustment provisions, down there. Need to check the FSM for sure.

In the column itself, there is another detent which the gearshift is concerned with. It's what makes you have to pull the shift lever to put it in particular positions, from "P". THAT and the trans detents MUST match.

The "pointer" is adjustable, as noted. As I recall, you might not ever get exact alignment of the pointer with all of the display letters/numbers, by observation, but they should be better than what you indicate. Perhaps a small bit of "finessing" the pointer itself might help?

I think I'd adjust the pointer in "N" and "D", and possibly "R" for their best alignment. If it's up past "R", then it should be in "P" and the shift lever does not move away from that position (unless you physical pull the shift level toward you). If it's below "D", then you can tell what gear it is by the engine sounds and response. Once in "R", no specific "gates" to need to pull the lever toward you, just slide it on "down a notch" to get to "N" and "D". Then more lever pulling to get it into "2" or "1".

Best to do the easiest adjustment, FIRST. The pointer. Don't mess with the gear shift linkage adjustments UNLESS you have to. With the pointer, it's a "cut and try" situation, of sorts, seeking to get the "best available" look for what's really happening.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have pointer adjuster as far as it will go. I have had the shift selector off of tranny to replace the leaking seal. It seemed to only go on one way. Had a flat in it that matched flat in shaft on transmission.

Will try what you said.

Oh, the selector on column is pretty sloppy.

Back