Gear selector won't go into drive

Reece Stephens

Reaction score
My gear selector will not go into drive, it will go into reverse and neutral, but if I pull it into drive it just goes back into neutral. I just rebuilt my transmission, the valve body worked properly when I tore the the transmission apart, I did NOT mess with the valve body when I rebuilt the transmission, and there's no obstruction in the linkage. The car isn't running, I'm in the process of putting the transmission back in the car when I discovered this. Has anyone else had this issue?

My gear selector will not go into drive, it will go into reverse and neutral, but if I pull it into drive it just goes back into neutral. I just rebuilt my transmission, the valve body worked properly when I tore the the transmission apart, I did NOT mess with the valve body when I rebuilt the transmission, and there's no obstruction in the linkage. The car isn't running, I'm in the process of putting the transmission back in the car when I discovered this. Has anyone else had this issue?

Try disconnecting the linkage to see if the transmission lever moves normally. Be sure the wheels are chocked and the park brake is applied. If the lever moves properly, the problem is in the linkage. If the lever pops back, the problem is with the rooster comb or the valve body.

Dave

Try disconnecting the linkage to see if the transmission lever moves normally. Be sure the wheels are chocked and the park brake is applied. If the lever moves properly, the problem is in the linkage. If the lever pops back, the problem is with the rooster comb or the valve body.

Dave
The arm popped back, I pulled the valve body and figured out that the park arm was hung up.

Back