Generator to alternator

70DartMike

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got a '62 Chrysler, 361 with points and a generator. I'm looking to do an electronic ignition conversion so I obviously need to swap out the generator with an alternator. Does anyone have a wiring diagram they've done op for the swap? I'll be using a dual field alternator with a electronic voltage regulator.

Thanks!

Interesting...my '62 Chrysler 300 has an alternator. I wonder if there was a choice or mid year conversion.

100_0392.JPG

Hey everyone,

I've got a '62 Chrysler, 361 with points and a generator. I'm looking to do an electronic ignition conversion so I obviously need to swap out the generator with an alternator. Does anyone have a wiring diagram they've done op for the swap? I'll be using a dual field alternator with a electronic voltage regulator.

Thanks!
Why is it obvious? Or even necessary?

I don't see as it's something you need to do to run the electronic ignition.

Thanks for the info. It's a '62 Windsor, and yes I'm in Canada. I'm doubtful someone swapped the generator in, it's factory wiring with an old style voltage regulator.

Reason I figured I'd have to change to an alternator for electronic ignition is the ECU doesn't do well with voltage spikes, which a generator has been known to do. But if you guys are running electronic ignition trouble free with a generator then I'll leave it alone I suppose. That's leaving the old voltage regulator in there too?

IMG_20170724_182651_zpsmacymfal.jpg

I don't think you'll have a problem with the regulator, as long as it's working well.

You could look into the Pertronix conversions too. They don't seem to have any issues with voltage variances and they fit completely in the distributor.

Ya know? They could have been left over parts from the previous year that they used to finish them off. Mopar did that a lot, either left over parts in a new model year, or the next model years parts if they ran out. I don't know, take it for what it's worth?

A very early 62 may have gone through with a generator. Curious to know the build date of your ,car.

If a swap is desired all you would need is a engine harness, alternator and regulator from any 62 car.

Chrysler Canada switched to alternators for the 1963 model year, not 1962.

So your 1962 Windsor does have a factory generator.

Back