Generic question, but applies to 60 Fury....

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
...I have wheel skirts that need new seals. I got suitable welting, but I need some help attaching it.

Right now the perished welting is stapled in. See pic. I’ve pulled a couple of staples. Not salvageable.

I’m worried a screw would have a profile that won’t let the skirt mate properly and will tear up the trim on the car. I’m guessing it was made with an industrial stapler, but Couldn’t find a stapler that I would think would restaple it.

Anyone else been through this? I included an empty close up shot of the staple, close up of existing and a longer shot.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Possibly an insulated wire of the same diameter or a non-stranded wire with the insulator removed? Then cut to length and shape as the staple, then install it and bend the inner ends for retention. Once installed, the staple is not really needed to hold the welting in place.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Possibly an insulated wire of the same diameter or a non-stranded wire with the insulator removed? Then cut to length and shape as the staple, then install it and bend the inner ends for retention. Once installed, the staple is not really needed to hold the welting in place.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
OR...I could just try some solid core wire and twist it. Same effect.

Thanks folks. I’ll have this car at Moparfest in August. Had my wagon there in the arena last year.

I knew someone here would know. I hope someday I can answer someone’s questions. For the last couple years and the foreseeable future, I’m on the receiving end.

But wait! I actually know more than there is to know about wood graining wagons. And I have custom made spare roof rack parts for formal wagons! I guess it will come in handy some day if I ever met another formal wagon fan. Very few and far between...

Back