Getting an Imperial Home

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
I am wondering how to tow an Imperial on a trailer. An Imperial is 5100 lbs, so what kind of trailer, as far as size goes? It seems the standard double axle trailer like u-haul offers is too small.

Thanks in advance.

First I did a test fit on my friends truck and trailer, his truck was more then able. We really wanted to see if it would fit his trailer before driving a few hours to get the Brownie Imperial.
It fit, just. We pushed brownie on with the help of some construction guys near by, They were looking at the Imperial enough to charge them admission by pushing. Good thing it saved a lot of time and pain.
Heavy weight trailer, good trailer tires with correct tire presure and bearings.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

I am wondering how to tow an Imperial on a trailer. An Imperial is 5100 lbs, so what kind of trailer, as far as size goes? It seems the standard double axle trailer like u-haul offers is too small.

Thanks in advance.
ive got an 18 foot trailer,7k capacity... my 69 300 fits on it with no overhang. 7k weight limit. a 16 ft would probably work, but car will be hanging off the back

We were worried about the nose overhang meets tail gate on tight turns. It worked out well on this set up. Check the nose to truck clearance.

I have a Ford E-150 with a 4.6/4R70W/8.8 - 3.55 Traction-Lok and it can pull 6600 lbs, but with the car being 5100 and a trailer being 1800 it’s overweight.

How far are you going, hills traffic etc...
Might be so much easier to hire a flat bed service.
That was my plan until my friend insisted we do it with his Truck and trailer, if he didn't have the Ram diesel 3500, I would have just hired the service. I have done to many risky things in my past to keep on pushing my chances.

It’s from one side of Illinois to the other. About 300 miles each way. Rolling hills and maybe a small valley here or there but not much more.

I have a Ford E-150 with a 4.6/4R70W/8.8 - 3.55 Traction-Lok and it can pull 6600 lbs, but with the car being 5100 and a trailer being 1800 it’s overweight.
Well, you aren't really that much overweight. 300 lbs is probably still within the margin of safety. Taking it easy, checking everything out, balancing the tongue weight etc., I'd probably do it, but I have also towed a lot with questionable loads before.

That said, it is at the top of the scale. You could rent a larger truck with a hitch too.

I have explored this too. U-haul wants $85 for a 15’ truck and a trailer plus 99 cents per mile. That is $602 in mileage.

I have explored this too. U-haul wants $85 for a 15’ truck and a trailer plus 99 cents per mile. That is $602 in mileage.

EDIT: Did the math wrong, so I corrected.

So, ~300 miles away?

I have no idea what car haulers are getting, but doing the math, that's ~$2.28 a loaded mile, then you still have to buy gas and that could easily be $200, so now you're at ~$3.00 a loaded mile. And that's not counting a couple meals and if you're like me, it would be an overnight by the time I got there, loaded and started back, I'd be a little tired to do the trip (although I have done it). Gotta be able to find someone doing it cheaper.

Last edited:
608 miles round trip. I wanted to drive it back but the guy said it would not be a wise idea.
Yea, that's probably good advice.

I bought a car once and they said "It will make the trip with no problem". I lost the brakes about 50 miles up the road and fortunately, my brother in-law was living on a farm near there, so I got it there and parked it and went back down with a rented trailer.

I made it 2200 miles from Portland to Chicago once in a Dart. I will attribute it to dumb luck because the car ran with a missing idle screw and it had the head gasket blow in North Dakota.

do you need to be there for picking up? Maybe checkin to having it delivered
I made it 2200 miles from Portland to Chicago once in a Dart. I will attribute it to dumb luck because the car ran with a missing idle screw and it had the head gasket blow in North Dakota.
I have driven lots of 60s Mopar across country, I don't think the OP car is a driver.

I would get a shipper, lots of sites that do the brokering. you just post all your details. you get shippers replying to your order.
For cars shipped from LA to NY I used Angels moving, brokers for shippers. but they screened out the losers.

I lost the contact for my preferred shipper. I was going to find out what it would take to get my local garage. McClure’s as posted above to do it. They were not around today.

If you use broker, you may get better deal, truck might need a load going your way
instead of getting a truck to drive out empty then return.
I haven't used them for a few years but I did use Angels for 8 or 9 years with no disappointments.
Angels Moving Autos

I mean I may drive out Sunday morning about 4am and take a chance if the snow isn’t too bad. But if the storm is nasty I will make arrangements.

Back